Fishing Central PA

D

Dale49

I'm going to be fishing central PA this Thursday thru Saturday. I have fished many of the famous streams many times (Spring, Spruce, Fishing Creek and so on) but never fished during July. I know the weather this week will be hot and most probably affect stream temperatures.

Would appreciate any info as to which streams and sections of streams will have the most favorable water temperatures. Not asking anyone to reveal your secret streams. Planning on fishing in morning and evening, however, looking for any stream or sections of streams with good temperatures to maybe fish in the afternoon.

Yes, I have a thermometer.

Thank you.

Dale

Dale,
I would think that if temps are borderline on Spring Creek, if you check the section north of Bellefonte you should find good temps as this section is colder due to spring influence. Fishing Creek in the narrows below Tylersville ought to be decent as well. I'd probably give Penns Creek a break unless you want to head a bit downriver and chase smallies. The George Harvey section of Spruce will probably be okay but I'd pay close attention to the thermometer on Little Juniata.

Fishing creek. I seem to have my best days there when its this hot and the terrestrials are crawlin around, but the other fishermen are not.

Thanks for the info guys. going to fish very early in the morning and in the evening, except might see if BFC has good temps in the afternoon.

Just a heads up so you are not frustrated if you go, but there is a competition on Spring Creek from: Venue 1: McCoy Dam Area
Venue 2: Confluence Bald Eagle to PowerLines. You are obviously allowed to fish it, but there will be close to 40 anglers in that section.

SBecker wrote:
Just a heads up so you are not frustrated if you go, but there is a competition on Spring Creek from: Venue 1: McCoy Dam Area
Venue 2: Confluence Bald Eagle to PowerLines. You are obviously allowed to fish it, but there will be close to 40 anglers in that section.

When?

Saturday and Sunday

IMO, that's just awful. I remember when the dams were there, and the water "between the dams" was pretty much a flyfisher's refuge from large gatherings of fishermen.

It was decent of SBecker to give you a head's up on this.

Thanks Shane for the heads-up.

Dale

Back