Fishing at Bear Camp in North Central Pennsylvania Rt44

P

PennsylvaniaJesse

Hello all,

Im going fishing on Big Pine and Little Pine next weekend. (base camp is near Black Forest Inn) Im taking a 6wt and some streamers. What would you recommend, and, what type of water would you look for to get into some nice trout?

Should I be looking in the bottom of heavy riffles or in the deep slow areas?

Thanks
PJ

I'd go down to Slate Run and fish Big Pine. The DHALO has some nice fish in it. Stop in at Wolfe's or check online for conditions.

www.slaterun.com

Thanks for the reply. Im familiar with the area near Slate Run, I am wondering what would be a productive streamer pattern, something well proven in the local water.

I will call the fly shop, thats a good idea.

I am wondering where the fish will be, should I be fishing heavy riffles, or, should I be looking into deeper, more quiet waters?

Here's their last report...

"11-13-2013: With the higher water try a bugger or weighted Psycho. Slate Drakes are working! Try a Psycho Ant - they are accounting for a lot of hook-ups! October Caddis is very sporadic. The caddis that is still hatching is the brown caddis - actually a brown, a black bodied brown, and a lighter brown - in size 14 to 18. Try a Rusty Dun, it works when you see BWOs on the water! A Prince Nymph has worked very well as a dropper. Try a brown emerger and give it some action, also try a bead head with action, it is working as well - play with the trout, entice a strike. Many anglers are catching great browns and a few rainbows! Water is in the 41-50 degree range. Fish Pine all morning, afternoon, and evening. Pine is at the 1.97 foot mark on the gauge.

Surface patterns include mainly the Slate Drake, White Flies, Tan Caddis, Brown Caddis, Yellow, Orange, and Cream Cahills, BWOs (try a Rusty Spinner as its spinner), and midges. Also use terrestrials: Psycho Ants, ants, crickets, grasshoppers, inch worms. Best patterns below the surface are the white streamers and wooly buggers, black or brown stone, brown caddis, BWOs, and micro hot-wire stone, Prince, Hare's Ear. sculpins, and muddlers. Some anglers are having good success fishing the Psycho worked underwater."

So it looks like streamers and buggers in white, and Muddlers are working. Who knows what they will be taking when you get up there though. I'd fish the deeper runs.

Soooo..... throw streamers at the end of big riffles, in the heads of pools.

I don't often wade this time of year, where will I need to be aware of the redds? I don't want to hurt anything.

Thanks

Back