Will try this tomorrow... better if:

Tiny headwaters trib;
Early am;
In heavy shade;
No or low impoundments;
Shortish walk in (in case too warm);
Have good thermometer;

am I missing something here?

Wicking, pull-over shirt to dip in the water, partially wring out, and wear for the return walk. Keeps you nice and cool as the water evaporates. Did it yesterday and shirt was nearly dry after 45 min despite the high humidity. This is an old motorcyclist’s and bicycle touring trick, but it works well for walking in hot weather too.

Thanks Mike that is a good one.

Carry lots of water. In this kind of weather, I’ll carry between 2 and 3 liters. Yes, liters. Depending on how long I plan to be alway from the vehicle.

Thanks yes lots to drink whole time.

93 up here today. I can't even get the energy to go fish for bass in this. I will, however, take the advice to drink plenty later this afternoon. 🍻🥃🧊

Will try this tomorrow... better if:

Tiny headwaters trib;
Early am;
In heavy shade;
No or low impoundments;
Shortish walk in (in case too warm);
Have good thermometer;

am I missing something here?
Last weekend I fished a small trib (10 ft across at widest point) from 130pm to 430pm. Water temp at the lower end when I started was 58. At 430pm when I finished fishing far up where it got real skinny the temp was 56 degrees. This was a hemlock valley. If you have a thick canopy you can fish it at any time. Just get them back in the water quickly.

Thanks prospector... yes plan to try tiny trib that is lined w hemlocks, and these trees are in decent condition. Serious shade!

right, hemlock forest has heavier shade so good for water temps in hot spell...if you put "arcgis individual tree species parameters" in google, look at some of the results, you can find a usda map that works w/ no software, just online but better on computer vs phone... if you carefully set the layers for hemlocks only versus the map's default of ash and pine, it is helpful for finding streams in cooler hemlock forests ...

for example, image below is Glass Creek, Sullivan County with tree species of this map set to show only hemlocks... (glass creek btw does not have a lot of fish, I believe because of geology/acid rain)... as the tree species map suggests, glass creek along the old rr grade is in a very nice hemlock forest...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220723-114424_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220723-114424_Samsung Internet.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Another thought: Consider what's well upstream. For example, you could fish a shaded area, but water warms in an exposed area upstream from where you are. That may make the water too warm. Recon on Google Satellite should help limit this problem.

Thanks yeah will be careful about sun exposure for the stream... and me :)

Thanks for suggestions... all of them seem right after my heat wave trib trip. Even in tribs in heavy shade, I had to avoid any, even small, upstream impoundments. Mike's "cold shirt" idea helped a lot on that walk out in the sun.

most freestoners in my area right now are bathtubs

Back