Fisherman mortality.....not fish mortality

Fish slower, smaller water, larger parachute flies with yellow poly posts, lighter rods. Personally thanked Tom Rosenbauer for developing Orvis big eye flies.

I guess I missed this thread last year when I was "coerced" by a friend into helping coach the local girls' basketball team, for one year, I might add. (We made it into interdistrict play.)

Anyhow, at 68 I am pleasantly surprised to find a number of you
codgers who are older than I am and who are still having at it. I am particularly inspired by WB, who has worked to overcome surgery. I also wish AFISHN (Tom) well with the knee surgery. I had an ACL surgery at age 46, and I still have my surgically repaired knee, though it's more painful than it once was. But, shots of gel have helped me keep going without having a knee replacement. Tom, make sure you do your rehab religiously; it will help get you back on the water relatively quickly.

Kray -- You're just a young buck! At 50, you have lots of good years ahead of you. Enjoy them!

So far, I am still wading almost all of the spots I ever have, though I like studded wading boots for some places. I guess I ought to get a wading staff, too.

My dad played tennis till he was 88, and he lifted free weights till 2 months before he passed away at 88.5.

So, I hope to fish and to hunt wild turkeys well into my 80's -- maybe even continue playing age-level basketball as well.

I wish all of you lots of great days on your favorite streams and lots of tight lines.

Kray - Thanks for a great history of growing up into fly fishing. I was fortunate that my Dad had been a lifelong fly fisherman when I was born and I grew up into the sport both as a fisherman and a fly tier. I can say with confidence that the number of times I've bought flies in my 68 years, either trout or salmon, can be counted on less than the fingers of one hand. My wife would say I fish a lot, and I'd agree with her, but I'd add that I do not fish nearly enough. I'd add too that the fishing I've done since retiring 6 years ago has been the very best of my life. I have had some absolutely stellar days "on the water" not necessarily all characterized by the quality or quantity of the fish I've caught. I've seen some amazing sights in the natural world while fishing and had some of the best times going fishless with fishing buddies and my brother.

My Dad fished until he was about 80 and unable to get around in the streams and rivers he cherished. He would have been thankful to have passed from this world while on the banks of his favorite stream, the Little Juniata, and to have had his remains scattered there.

While sunset's glow is fast approaching my horizon, I will fish until I can't. That's a guarantee.

Afishin,take it from me you'll be ready for the Jam in May if you get your knee done in Feb. That was my goal 4 years ago and made it. Get some PT. prior to surgery as it will help strengthen your thigh area and loosen up the tendons that will get stretched during surgery. Spinal over general anesthesia I had less complications and better recovery that way. a good rehab facility or Physical therapist will get you on your feet you just have to work at it. GL GG

Andy:

I will say I am glad to have had the opportunity to have met and fished with you several times. You are one of a kind and your excitement and passion for fishing is always fun to see. You have also been a great teacher and the knowledge you have shared with the YINZER crew will always be appreciated.

Happy 50th 1

Andy, and everyone else,

You probably know I messed up my back on 09/22/2017 and it finished me for the rest of the season. I was well on my way to fish over 100 days in 2017. The blinding pain I had in my left hip and leg due to a pinched sciatic nerve went away after about ten weeks with no surgery or epidural injections.

The downside though is now my right leg is screwed up and while there is absolutely no pain I can't walk well without a cane (after 2 months of physical therapy) and I can't walk more than a block. Am I going to let that stop me from fishing in 2018 and beyond? Hell no! I booked my trip to the Missouri in Montana for late June for two weeks. If I don't feel safe wading I decided to rent a drift boat everyday. I finally quit smoking so that saved money will pay for the drift boat and shuttle during my trip.

I prefer to wade the Delaware but the Delaware is a lot swifter than the Missouri and the bottom is much more uneven. I'll just use the Hyde more than in prior years and find some PAflyfish guys willing to float with me and help me get the boat in, and back out, of the river.

If you have good health I would never think about Death. What is the point about worrying about something none of have any real control over. I have gone through seven surgeries for various health issues since 1993 and around 70 days in hospital. But I am always thinking about getting out on the water and throwing to that rising fish! Enjoy it all.

Back