Fishable CFS for Spring Creek Axemann Gauge?

1hook

I was just wondering where you all draw the line when it’s comes to fishing spring creek in regard to CFS? Flows right now at axemann are in the 160’s.

Thinking about getting out tomorrow to dust off the nymph gear but don’t want to make the trip if 160’s “blown out”.

Thanks for any advice!

I was just wondering where you all draw the line when it’s comes to fishing spring creek in regard to CFS? Flows right now at axemann are in the 160’s.

Thinking about getting out tomorrow to dust off the nymph gear but don’t want to make the trip if 160’s “blown out”.

Thanks for any advice!
You'll be fine. Go for it.

160ish will be pretty wadable. You’ll be fine. Spring is not really that big of a stream, and it’s fairly low gradient and it’s not a boulder minefield like Penns or BFC in the Narrows. That kind of stuff makes a huge difference.

I fished a Sulphur hatch at almost 300 once and had a good evening. I had to watch where I went but there were plenty of spots easy enough to get to where I could fish. And I’m a relatively cautious wader on big water. On small streams I can be a bit more adventurous, but I’m intimidated by big water.

If you’ve got the opportunity to go fish during this warm spell do it. 150-200 IMO is dialed in for Spring. My butt will be adjusting insurance claims tomorrow, jealous.

that should be perfect. the concrete bridge below the paradise ... BWOs will be popping off for sure on the downstream side.
also --- across the road ... over the concrete bridge ... there should be a little honey stand, on the honor system. Spring Creek Honey ... its excellent. bring some cash.

enjoy! the wife and i are hiking Stone Mountain tomorrow ... near Roaring Gap. we'll take a rest at Wolf Rock ... over looks the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west. very beautiful.

Spring Creek fished great today. Lots of fish caught and moved on 3” streamers including a nice 16” brown on the first cast. The level is a little high but very fishable. Definitely not blown out. This warm weather has them very aggressive and the water is just a little green but not off color too much. I think the gauge was at 2.75ish feet at axeman gauge when I got there. Fished from about 1-4pm today. Good luck if you go tomorrow. I don’t think you will regret it.

Awesome, thanks for the responses! That’s what I was hoping to hear. I’ll pack some of the big meat streamers and see what I can come up with.

I’ll report back tomorrow.

Good tip on the honey too Mashbill!

160ish will be pretty wadable. You’ll be fine. Spring is not really that big of a stream, and it’s fairly low gradient and it’s not a boulder minefield like Penns or BFC in the Narrows. That kind of stuff makes a huge difference.

I fished a Sulphur hatch at almost 300 once and had a good evening. I had to watch where I went but there were plenty of spots easy enough to get to where I could fish. And I’m a relatively cautious wader on big water. On small streams I can be a bit more adventurous, but I’m intimidated by big water.

If you’ve got the opportunity to go fish during this warm spell do it. 150-200 IMO is dialed in for Spring. My butt will be adjusting insurance claims tomorrow, jealous.
Matt-
If you work for Geico or Erie, we need to talk 😂

Well I did hit spring up today. Focused on new to me sections, mostly below the 550 bridge.

The water looked great, a tad high and off color but definitely fishable/wadable.

Saw a few other anglers out but not too many. Fished from about 10-5. Not a stellar day numbers wise but caught enough to keep me occupied. Caught a nice bow, really colored up..beautiful fish.I nymphed all day, really trying to up my nymph game so wanted to practice.

Couple sporadic BWO’s.

Glad I got out, thanks for the tips… oh and before I forget. I saw the posted cable across the stream right at the 550 bridge headed downstream. Posted signs on both sides too.

When I look at ONX, one side of that stream shows its public land.

What am I missing there? Is there a pissing match going on with the owners who own the other side?

I saw the posted cable across the stream right at the 550 bridge headed downstream. Posted signs on both sides too.

When I look at ONX, one side of that stream shows its public land.

What am I missing there? Is there a pissing match going on with the owners who own the other side?

It's been that way forever. There is so much access elsewhere on Spring that I think most have just let it be and decided the juice isn't worth the squeeze of challenging it.

It's been that way forever. There is so much access elsewhere on Spring that I think most have just let it be and decided the juice isn't worth the squeeze of challenging it.
yes, agreed. not worth it. There are three spots on spring that are posted. One is along Trout rd. Compared to all the open water, why fight. One area is RUMORED to be stocked. I have not seen solid evidence of this. Although not far from that I have in past caught some surprisingly large rainbows, but there are other explanation for this.

actually, really more. There are sections between oak hall and lemont. The quarry and private residences. Also way up on Spring by Boalsburg. I keep forgetting about those spots.

The land on the west side is owned by the PFBC. I've heard this discussed, but never heard any good explanation of WHY the PFBC owns the land on the west side, but you can't fish the stream from that side. The landowner on the east side puts posting signs on the WEST side. That's an odd situation.

The land on the west side is owned by the PFBC. I've heard this discussed, but never heard any good explanation of WHY the PFBC owns the land on the west side, but you can't fish the stream from that side. The landowner on the east side puts posting signs on the WEST side. That's an odd situation.
Has anyone contacted the PFBC to inquire? If this is a case of an overzealous landowner over stepping his bounds, I'd love to see the boys in green pay him a visit.

For good dry fly fishing with small size flies, midges and BWO's - now - I like the flow to be under 100 CFS in that area.
Although the larger slower sections could still be fine.

I'll second buying the honey from that farm at the bridge.
I like it on my cereal and toast in the morning

As for the posted section right below the 550 bridge:

I believe that house there is - or was - an air B&B.
And I guess they want to keep it private for people that stay there.
Been that way for as long a I can remember too

As for the posted section right below the 550 bridge:

I believe that house there is - or was - an air B&B.
And I guess they want to keep it private for people that stay there.
Been that way for as long a I can remember too
The house is on the east side of the creek. The owners of the house are posting the west side of the creek. The land on the west side is owned by the PFBC.

The house is on the east side of the creek. The owners of the house are posting the west side of the creek. The land on the west side is owned by the PFBC.
So the area in question here is along side Roopsburg road - where that sizable spring runs along side the creek just downstream of the bridge?
Interesting to hear that it's owned by Fish and Boat - which should make it legal to access the water from that side I you would think.
Unless the landowner does indeed own property on both sides of the creek

Back