fish warm up.

hunter1

hunter1

I'm heading out to fly fish Monday for the first time since a back operation, Can't wait. Is it better to let the water warm a little, like hitting it late morning, or just hit it early. Temps will be @ 36 deg to a high of 49 deg. right now water temp is 45 deg. I'm hitting the gunpowder. Any guese what there catching them on right now. Thank you.

Hunter,

Consider late morning at the earliest.

Possibilities - Little black stones, maybe BWOs, definitely midges and maybe a few caddis. The bugs are small.

Dale

fish tend to feed when the water temperature is closest to optimum for their species.That's why browns for example have a rep for being nite feeders when that's only true during the months when that's the case water temp wise… In the colder months they will be out during the heat of the day-unless snowmelt causes the water temp to drop..
Fergit then...

Thank's guy's. That's what i figured, I'll hit around 10.a.m. . I'm excited, Thank's again.

Good luck. I can remember the anxiety and excitement of getting back on the stream following back surgery. It has been over five years now for me and my back is really doing good. Be careful and don't take any chances while wading or on dicey stream banks. Actually, flyfishing is probably really good therapy for your back. Hope you get into 'em.

Thanks DC, That's exactly what the doc said. Fishing would be great to start with, walking streams is good for my leg's and back. I'll take it easy, the G.P. isn't running to fast.

I was out today on the Tully and fished hard from 7:00 to 2:30. I didn't catch a fish until 10:45. Not coincidentally, I saw the first midges coming off at 10:30. Keep in mind it was mostly overcast today so that probably delayed the feed a little. Not real sure the Tully warms at all though. I think it's more of the angle of the sun or the amount of light hitting the water.
Good luck

Be careful for sure. I rushed back to fishing from back surgery and learned I need to give it a few more months. Cold air and cold water did not go well with my rehab. I laid off the winter and now 24 years later its not a concern.

If you hit the water at first light you'll catch fish, target the areas where the sun is on the water in the riffles. Forget pools, those fish will be resting and not likely to feed. As you fish the day, keep moving to the sunnier places, it helps to keep a thermometer with you to check the water temperature. I always like to be the first guy out in the winter.

Hunter,

I have been fishing the Gunpowder at least twice a week since February 2014.

For the past month, the most productive pattern has been my "#22 Danger!-Black-Ice!!" Midge emerger fly. I tie these on #22 curved nymph hooks and fish them in tandem, top fly tied to tag end of the blood knot connecting my 6X leader to my 7X tippet and the bottom fly tied with a cinch knot about 3 feet below the top fly. I cast accross and let it swing into the film as it drifts down to the fish. I have caught wild browns and wild rainbows on this fly in every hole from the dam down to the Masemore bridge over the past 4 weeks.

"DANGER!-BLACK ICE!!" Midge Emerger Fly Pattern:

- #22 curved nymph hook.
- Tie black thread down past the bend of the hook.
- Tie in very, very fine copper wire and wrap back up to the eye to form the segmentation , usually about 5 or 6 wraps.
-Tie in a small amount of Black Ice Dubbing right below the eye and whip finish.

Best time to fish this fly has been late morning to dark.

Hope this works for you.

Thank you all. I'll be there Monday.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

FYI... This is a shot of the fly.

0D8ECFCB-50D8-46E6-8C9F-1714BFEA96FE_zpsnwp7ehip.png

Fished the Gunpowder yesterday from Masemore to Bunker Hill.

Caught a few nice wild browns. All on this fly again.

A16928A9-CDB8-40D2-B626-CF5BC4E97E62_zpskmj44703.jpg

Well here it is. Fished the G.P. yesterday, I hit there around 9:30 a.m., I had a great time ,it was great to be out on the water again. I used a dark midge emerger fly in the a.m., Didn't catch any, but did have a few hits. Then at about 11:30, there was little fly hatches all over the place at Masemore rd. I used a small light colored dry fly and caught a nice brown. Went home about 2. p.m. , my back was giving out. Thank you all for your answers and support. This is what makes this the best forum to belong too, it's members.

Nice!! Nothing helps a person to heal faster than a nice tug from a wild fish!!

Good to hear that you had a great day!

Awesome brown. Flying lion, you are not too far from me. I need to check out the GP I guess and give Valley a rest. Will have to tie up some of those Black Ice. Thank you!

Longbow,

Happy to help. I have fished Valley for a long time and think it is a great stream. (BTW, the Black Ice fly has produced very well there also).

I highly recommend the Gunpowder. It is a much different fishing challenge. Great tailwaters , great hatches, tons of great pools, riffles, runs, etc. Great fly shops, not too far from the river. Well worth the drive. I have also been lucky to run into a lot of great fly fisherman on the river, and have learned something new from each of them.

Good luck!

FlyingLion, That's a good fish. I used a midge pattern that was like the one you used, I probably didn't fish it right, But I'll give it hell next week. I hope . Merry x-mas to you and your family.

Back