Fish Pellet Pattern

T

tracker12

Anyone have a fish pellet pattern for stockers. I was using a fly today that was kind of a griffin in brown and had a blast shaking off stockers at a local pond.

I had the same thoughts about tying one that looks like a pellet but I don't know what the pellets look like. I don't fish stocked streams that mutch either.

Hook.
Lead.
Brown chenille.
Done.

I posted one with a sperm veil not too long ago. Search for it, it's worth it.

Brown foam on a scud hook..like a brown beetle..

Coffee bean beetle pattern maybe also

Tie a walt's worm, Ta-Da you have a pellet fly..just hairs ear wrapped on hook..

gfen wrote:
Hook.
Lead.
Brown chenille.
Done.

I second this motion.

A pellet is basically dog food for a visual comparison.

here ya go the perfect fly..

Attachments

• pellet.jpg
    pellet.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 8
One of the guys on this site has a killer pattern he calls the "Grandpa Strohman".....I can't remember who it is but he catches some HUGE trout on it.

Tie a dubbing loop egg in brown or what ever color you wish.

NoMoreCornChuckin wrote:
One of the guys on this site has a killer pattern he calls the "Grandpa Strohman".....I can't remember who it is but he catches some HUGE trout on it.

I would like to see that fly.
There was a guy fishing across stream from me using a fly he made up himself. He said it was his version of a bread fly.
I couldn't get a good look at it but it was working for him.

i have tied from wine corks that were cut in to pieces and made smaller on a bench grinder. they were then stained with a dark walnut color stain and while the stain was still tacky roll the pellet piece into the shavings from the grinder for some added texture. then just cut a slit in them and glue them to a hook. ta-da.

The pellets look just like a regular fish food pellet you'd buy if you owned chiclids in an aquarium.

Try size 22 mcfly foam egg, dead egg color, and make it dark brown with a brown prismacolor marker.

Or, y'know, glue pellets to hooks.

Or, egg sack material to bind pellets together and just stuff 'em on the hook.

Oh. That doesn't count? I bet fish don't mind.

Eons ago,when I Was a regular in your lovely state I caught quite a few fish,in the spring on a clipped hair pattern size 16-needed a micro shot to get it down.Can't remember if it was elk or antelope.
Anyway some forty years later I find I wasn't an instant expert-I was just using a pellet fly.
Thanks for disillusioning me guys-lol

I realize it is in vogue on this forum to extol the virtues of pellet flies, but I suggest that your time is better spent tying flies that will work for a longer period of time on a wider variety of waters, stocked or wild.
Hares ear's, buggers, EHC, PT's etc. are all wildly effective on stockers and work on virtually every trout stream I fish. If I was convinced I needed a pellet fly to catch a fresh stocked trout I would... ...use a beetle which I've already tied dozens of.

Kev

What size do you the a pellet fly?

secound on the spun hair fly i mine in a mule deer hair two different sizes one about the size of an altoid and the other the size of a 1/8 bead . the larger i sink and the smaller i let float . i find that they are really only effective for a short time as the go to food source after a while i think any pattern you had on would be eaten as they get used to eating al natural

Back