Fish in lake placid ny this weekend

FFChineseman

FFChineseman

I am planning a trip up to Lake Placid NY this weekend, and would really like to fish there ( maybe in the lake since it is close to where i stay).

I am new to fly fishing, and wonder what size of leader and what kind of fly i should use. Also, i have been only fly fishing in the streams so far, not really sure about the technic and set-up for the lake trout fishing.

Please give me some suggestions, and I would really appreciate that!!!

FFCman,
I've never fished that part of NY but I believe it is not far from the Ausable and probably many trout streams and small ponds. Lake Placid may be better for warm water fish than trout(?). Anyway, I'd take your regular trout flies and maybe some bass poppers and try fishing the shoreline in the mornings and evenings with different stuff. You can't go wrong with a dark colored Wooly Bugger fished near cover with a short strip retrieve or try a nymph under a floating strike indicator. This should catch sunfish if trout aren't around. You can get a tourist license to fish NY for a day or three and there are likely some fly shops or tackle stores in the local area that can give yuh some tips.

Good luck with your trip. Let us know how you made out.
DaveW

sorry for the late reply, but you should be able to find plenty of trout in the West Branch of the Ausable. It is a short drive from Lake Placid, minutes at most. Throw big meaty nymphs and you should be able to catch fish, also check out the local fly shops for hatch details. I don't know if they got all of the rain we are seeing, but if so you may be out of luck for fishing the rivers, then stick to ponds and lakes and ww species are likely the best bet. If you like beer stop by the Lake Placid brewery for beer and lunch.

thank you guys!! I am getting ready for the trip. I will let you know how it goes.

watch out for the monster crocodile!!!!

LOL....that sifi movie is so stupid. My friends actually teased me about it before i took off. Tehy even tvo that movie for me.

Back