Fish eater or not

I'm the same as you (OP), I don't eat any creatures that live in the water - I do however chase them, catch them and put them back in the water.

Not a big fan of fish, I do enjoy an occasional Tuna steak. Haven't kept any fresh water fish for 40 or more years.

I eat store bought only (Salmon, Tuna). I never keep what I catch. Trout are too beautiful to keep IMO. The more we keep the less we can catch in the future.

Definitely eat fish - fatty fish like trout and salmon are great source of dietary omega- 3 fatty acids. Also love the ocean fish. Grilled, baked, or broiled - no deep frying. I do take home some trout each year and only eat them fresh that day - don't like frozen. 1 steelhead/year. No shellfish tho.

Two oddities. I have never eaten fish of any kind and I have never had a cup of coffee in my life. Been getting up at 4:45 in the morning for decades for my job and all I need is a WAWA chocolate milk and I'm good to go ! LOL

Two oddities. I have never eaten fish of any kind and I have never had a cup of coffee in my life. Been getting up at 4:45 in the morning for decades for my job and all I need is a WAWA chocolate milk and I'm good to go ! LOL

Chocolate has caffeine too... ;)

Definitely eat fish - fatty fish like trout and salmon are great source of dietary omega- 3 fatty acids. Also love the ocean fish. Grilled, baked, or broiled - no deep frying. I do take home some trout each year and only eat them fresh that day - don't like frozen. 1 steelhead/year. No shellfish tho.

I love cooking fish on the grill. Great flavor and it doesn't stink up the house. My wife is picky about the fish she'll eat but when I cook it on the grill she loves it!!

BTW - I see that you don't do shellfish but steaming clams by just putting them on the grill rack really intensifies the flavor and beats steaming them in a pot. Same goes for lobster & shrimp.

Strictly speaking of trout, I don't generally keep any, except when my daughter wants one or two. I'll plan on keeping fish when the water is getting warmer - in case I can't revive AND the law allows. I avoid keeping early-season or freshly-stocked fish, to avoid eating anything that tastes like liver pellets.
Unless any of the kids insists otherwise, ALWAYS scorch them on a grill, peel skin, pull the spine and (almost) all the bones out, and season. I haven't the time nor patience to fillet, batter, fry, etc.

I’ll grill a couple of trout, but mostly catch and release. I just enjoy the challenge of catching the fish

Steve

I wouldn't eat any freshwater fish I catch around here. That said I have fish or seafood at least once a week for dinner. Right now I'm working on the walleye and smallmouth I brought back from my Canadian trip. Once I finish up them up I'll head to the local seafood store and stock up. The only local fish I'll keep for dinner is the panfish we catch up in the Poconos. We'll keep enough to make a Canadian shore lunch style dinner.
Not fond of salmon, though my friend who's into grilling, she does a nice job with salmon. I even like small bluefish(20 inches and under) The larger ones are excellent if they're smoked correctly. I tried False Albacore once, never again. I'm half Italian, so we do the Seven fishes for Christmas Eve. Not technically 7 fishes, we have mussels, clams, shrimp and calamari, along with the fish..

What no bacala? From one Italian to another, that is sacrilege;>]

Mom and now wife soaks salted cod the boils it til flaky. Mixes with olive oil, red peppers and olives. Excellent and classic Mediterranean diet dish.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (or it has but I'm too lazy to check) is this:

Mom and now wife soaks salted cod the boils it til flaky. Mixes with olive oil, red peppers and olives. Excellent and classic Mediterranean diet dish.

I'm not Italian but Greek which is pretty close and I LOVE baccala!!

Beside making hoagies to die for on PROPER rolls, Pagano's in my old hood of Drexel Hill have an incredible selection of cold side salads including baccala, octopus, and squid salads.

Well worth a field trip if you are ever in that neck of the woods!!

I'm only half-Italian, the other half is Ukrainian, so pierogies are one of the side dishes. My sister makes a bacala stew but it's based on my Ukrainian grandmother's recipe. I bread and deep fry whatever she doesn't use in the stew.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (or it has but I'm too lazy to check) is this:

It hasn't.

We all know that the PF&BC has consumption advisories on all inland waters. Whether you should eat, and how much. But what it doesn't say is that the fish you buy in the store are often as or even more contaminated with things like mercury or PCBs than what you can catch yourself.

I am really not discounting the advisories. Would I eat catfish or round goby out of lake Erie? No. Would I start eating steelhead every week (if I liked trout)? No. Would I eat perch or panfish from Pymatuning? Sure.

FDA only has one threshold for fish that is commercially sold. They do have advisories *which PF&BC uses, but they are not front and center, and most people are ignorant of this fact. But PF&BC can only advise on fish you can catch from PA waters. However, they do provide links, which most people don't bother checking out.

Click on some of the "useful outside links" and see for yourself. They are mostly concerned with children and women of child bearing age. Most of us do not fit into that.

The reality is that the perch I occasionally catch and eat has less mercury in it than canned of tuna.

Why do some people think that if it is purchased from a store or restaurant, it must be safer whether it is fish, meat, or even honey. Bam, I am not singling you out or saying you are that way, it was just your post that inspired my response.

Last edited:
I eat panfish only for the most part. I release 99.999% of my trout. I kept one this past summer after it took my nymph down deep. First one that has done that in years. I didn't want it to go to waste so I ate it. I realized why I don't keep trout then.

I like nearly all types of fish and shellfish. Regarding trout, I keep a few stockies to eat every year. But I don't kill wild trout because their populations are fragile (especially brook trout).

Wow - This brought back memories of going to the fish market (possibly ironic, it was set on the Lackawanna River) and picking up the salt cod for my Grandmother. I remember it soaking and being rinsed before she cooked it, We still have it on Christmas Eve when my siblings and I gather.

PS - You could drive nails with that stuff!

I do not eat fish.
I am dietarilly vegan,and, fish was the first meat that I quit.

However, I enjoy catching them, for sure

Back