Fish Cat 13

Rich82

Rich82

I was hoping to get some information and input on the Fish Cat 13 pontoon. I have been struggling for the past four months on whether to spend the money on the purchase or let the dream go. I have limited experience with fly fishing from a boat and all that experience has been out west. I've read all the literature and even watched all the videos on line but still have some reservations. My primary focus would be to use it on the Lehigh. Would the Fish Cat be able to handle that river? Since I fish solo, would I be able to maneuver the craft while still being able to fish? Also, how many waterways would be able to accommodate the use of such a boat? I'd hate to drop the money to find that there were only a few that I could use it on. I have been to the dealership on three seperate occassions to buy only to "chicken out" at the last minute. Just not sure. If anyone has any hands on experience with the Fish Cat 13 or opinions to my questions I would greatly appreciate it.

I can not comment directly about the fish cat 13, however I have used a single man pontoon enough. Fishing out of a toon is something you need to get used to. I am sure it will work fine for the Lehigh. You basically float sideways with your nymph rig or dry dropper rig out in front of you. If you find risers, I normally get out and target them. Unless you have a platform to stand on or feel comfortable standing on the seat. If you can not get out you just anchor up and do your best to target them sitting down. You are basically using the boat to cover as much of water as possible. Many times once I would get to a riffle I will row to the bank and get out and fish the riffle. I have only found my toon to be useful on big water like the Lehigh or Delaware. Btw, I carry two rods on me. One set up with a dry fly and one with a nymph rig.

I can not comment directly about the fish cat 13, however I have used a single man pontoon enough. Fishing out of a toon is something you need to get used to. I am sure it will work fine for the Lehigh. You basically float sideways with your nymph rig or dry dropper rig out in front of you. If you find risers, I normally get out and target them. Unless you have a platform to stand on or feel comfortable standing on the seat. If you can not get out you just anchor up and do your best to target them sitting down. You are basically using the boat to cover as much of water as possible. Many times once I would get to a riffle I will row to the bank and get out and fish the riffle. I have only found my toon to be useful on big water like the Lehigh or Delaware. Btw, I carry two rods on me. One set up with a dry fly and one with a nymph rig.

You will be fine on the Lehigh with that. I fish a single man bucks bronco on the Lehigh and other rivers. The one man will give you a few more launch and take out options than larger boats. For float options you have the Lehigh, North Branch Suskie, and Delaware, at least. Those three flows would keep me occupied for some time.

Back