First trout of ‘24

salmo

salmo

Yesterday March 3, the moon, the sun and stars aligned and I took a spur of the moment trip. Left South Jersey at 4:30 am and headed North and West. I pulled into the parking lot at 6:40 am. Fished up a very shallow, brushy tree lined creek. A great place for me to make all of my first day screwups (dropped stuff, shaky hands, careless back casts and left stuff in the car. Sigh). By 10:30 am 30-40 swear words later and I lost my only brookie in a root knot.

I was gonna quit and headed back to the car. Had a leisurely lunch and decided to give it another try. I headed down stream and found a much different stream. More open water and some deeper pools. Starting around 2:00 pm every deep pool held brook trout what wanted my sexy Walt’s (the only sexy thing I have left). In every deep pool I took 3-6 willing trout. I wrapped up at 4, had my victory ale and headed home.
Water temps in high 40s, water high and gin clear and cloudy most of the day with about 40 minutes of blue skies in the late morning. Saw that the Jack in the Pulpit were breaking out of the ground and chased a very dark frog off the bank.

Back