First trout fishing book?

I'm not sure. I checked a lot of books out of the library to teach myself how to fish as a kid. I distinctly remember a book - the title escapes me but it was written by Richard Alden Knight (son of John A. Knight - originator of the Solunar Tables) and was a book about FFing for stream trout and I remember reading it very carefully and I still apply some of the tactics that I remember from that book. Now that you've got me thinking about it, I think I'll search it on Amazon.
I do recommend Humphrys' "Trout Tactics."

Okay. The book by R.A. Knight is "Successful Trout Fishing" @1968.

Another book that I enjoyed early in my FFing journey and one I'd recommend is Art Lee's "Fishing Dry Flies for Trout on Rivers and Streams."

"Fishing the dry fly as a living insect" ............Wright

I was just re-reading these post's and I just remembered another one of my very first trout fishing books. It was called "Squaretail" by Charles Kroll, circa 1972. I don't know where it got to after all of these years, but I do know it's worth money now. I've seen copies going for as much as $165. I'd love to still have it. :cry:

Can't remember the name of it. The way of the Trout? Not sure, I think the author speaks of the Delaware and New England streams a lot. It didn' have any color pictures but some diagrams expaining water flows, "the bubble line", trout pecking order and reading the water, He explains not to wade at first if possible, and how to properly and effeciently to fish a pool or section working from closest water to furthest away as to not spoil the water. My first bought book was Titled "Trout" and was a basic guide for spin and fly fishing but I have read several books on trout and fly fishing. I need to read more on aquatic insects.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
Can't remember the name of it. The way of the Trout? Not sure, I think the author speaks of the Delaware and New England streams a lot. It didn' have any color pictures but some diagrams expaining water flows, "the bubble line", trout pecking order and reading the water, He explains not to wade at first if possible, and how to properly and effeciently to fish a pool or section working from closest water to furthest away as to not spoil the water. My first bought book was Titled "Trout" and was a basic guide for spin and fly fishing but I have read several books on trout and fly fishing. I need to read more on aquatic insects.

I remember seeing "The Way Of The Trout" in movie form many years ago! Oh, the good old days. :)

Back