First time tying a loop wing

SlingerFlyRods

SlingerFlyRods

tried my hand at a loop wing.. zoomed in quite a bit but this is a size 14, can be used for a variety of things. i think it will fish "OK" during the dark hendrickson/march brown events but if not, i'm totally ok with it.

Anyone else tie their wings in like this? A friend up north has been doing them for a while.. some people call them wonder wings, some loop wings, some wacky wings, but i venture to guess they are the same.

this one was used with a turkey feather.

I have a hard time tying them. A guy gave me a few to try one time down on Fishing Creek in Benton, and they worked really well.

going to try using other materials to create them.. ill probably extend the body and make the tail look a little more realistic

I also do flys that I call loop wings. Here is a caddis emerger I do with CDC that is a killer fly. Also a parachute I do with zelon.
My zelon wings Tyger calls them comparachutes.

GenCon

Attachments

• CDC loopwing2.JPG
    CDC loopwing2.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 2
  • sulphur parachute.jpg
    sulphur parachute.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 4
that wing looks a little heavy

from the internet

sld-12-loopwing-macaw-adams.jpg

I fished loop wings today on Pine Creek at Slate Run today and had a banner day. I was really surprised to see them being sold at a tackle shop that I visited yesterday in Wellsboro called Tackle Shack. I've never seen them being sold before. Nice shop with very friendly people behind the counter and a nice selection of flies that fit my budget. Will definitely be back.

Yes Tackle shack is the only one in that area i believe that carries them. They are being tied by Gods Country TroutFlies if you check him out on facebook,.

I've been having a pretty great past 3 trips at a local DHALO. using a dark hendrickson loop as well as a BWO loop i tied.

I tie them, but not nearly as well and efficient as Kev does.

and respect to your comment nfrechet, i havent had one sink not cast funny.. i changed the tail to 3 strands of moose mane and that helped balance it better..

after about 8 or 9 fish its time to scrap and use a new fly though.. and im completely ok with that

'heavy' had nothing to do with 'sinking'

you are right.. the 2nd part of my comment was supposed to say "nor" cast funny.. my typo says "not"

if that's not what you were referring to either then i guess i'll just wait for you to explain it. i'm not good at the guessing game behind a computer screen

I believe what he was trying to say slinger is that it looks "heavy" in the aspect that the wing is falling back over the fly instead of being more like a post wing like the picture nfrechet posted. Then again that might have been what you were going for, just adding my two cents :)

Back