First time salt and warm water poppers

T

thesmayway

Thoughts?

We leave for cancun this weekend and I tied these up. Any critiques? I'll chase anything in the surf but I've read baby tarpon will take a popper in the surf.

Are the two with all the feathers too big for smallmouth? Will musky take a big fly on top?

Thanks

IMG_20140617_243420_778_zpsaa2abd41.jpg

IMG_20140617_243553_417_zps8b474e2a.jpg

In my opinion it takes a lot to be too big for a bass. Post your experiences with lots of pics when you get home! What are the heads made from? Were they preformed or carved?

Not the ones I catch. Kidding of course. Hard to read the size perspective from the picture. Might be a tad to long but it will work you just might have a few miss the hook on the blow up but that's the fishes fault not yours.

they are preformed foam from Bass Pro... very easy to tie.

The only thing I would have done is put a mouth on them. Easy to do with a Dremel tool. The only flat faced poppers I've had any luck with are Bob's Bangers.

I don't know much about poppers or the fish you're trying to catch with them, but they look good to me. I'd bet they will catch fish. Have fun and good luck!

I don't really fly fish for bass but I do the salt all the time. the blues will love them. stripers like a little movement in their flies. a crease fly is a better fly for them cause there is a zig zag in it if stripped correctly and tied right. I think they look good.

Back