First time in the salt paid off.

BrooksAndHooks

BrooksAndHooks

Took a trip to the OBX with the family this year, decided to do my homework and try to go after some fish on the fly now that I own an 8wt setup.

Did my homework, picked out a few spots to got check out, and we headed down. Brother and I swung into a spot a local shop told us to check out the day before, looking for some 12+ rock fish, but couldn't figure out access out into the sound. Decided to drive to a different area with some bigger water and started fishing. We tied up about a dozen or 18 clousers 3/0 white and chartruse or yellow and went to town. About 15 minutes in brother landed a 12-14" striper/"rock fish". About 15 minutes after that, my clouse got nailed. Wildest 10 second fight I've ever had. We figure it was a drum or something similar, but I was halfway into my backing before I knew what was happening, trying to get my drag turned up and keep tension on the fish and not lose my rod at the same time. Luckily I somehow lost the fish without snapping off when he turned and the line went a bit slack before I could strip it in. Was kicking myself for that, so cranked the drag up and tied on a more substantial leader. Never hooked into another one but about a half hour later sighted a pod of needle fish/garr/poor mans sailfish and started stripping in towards them. One nailed my streamer and fight was on. Got him in for a quick picture and released. We fished one more morning there and didn't have any luck, other than seeing some more needle fish.

We did end up getting a half day charted out of hatteras and went out for some cobia. We were going to try to bring the fly rods for drum but that day ended up being wayyyy to windy. We went out for cobia, and ended up catching a few and one keeper. 34.5", 36.5" and 40"s. Awesome fish and a fun fight. The fishing was boring, but the fight was a blast. Great eating as well. Charter with with The Hook Up, Capt. Rudy Grey. We had a blast with him and he got us on the water and on fish very quickly. I landed my first cobia within about 20 minutes of setting up.

I'm looking forward to going back next year with a little more experience under my belt and better prepared.

Attachments

• IMG_7303.jpg
    IMG_7303.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7305.jpg
    IMG_7305.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 5
nice catch, takes some time to learn the ins and outs of fishing the salt. when wading look for pockets, creek channels good place to hit fish. next time make sure you have gold and orange/black
clousers

Thanks! We were fishing a huge channel, well known spot for fish. Were going to tie black and orange clousers but got fish the first day on the patterns we had so didn't waste any more time haha. It's definitely fun to learn/attempt something new.

Back