first time going out fly fishing on little lehigh

J

johnh

I am taking my son out fly fishing for the first time. I am a beginner myself and we are learning together. If it is nice on Sunday I am planning on going to the little leigh. Any suggestions on what to use this time of the year? Thanks

Flashy eggs, pheasant tails, Prince nymphs, Wooley buggers, zebra midges, Cress bugs, scuds, Als rat, San juans, caddis larva. If ya want, stop into the fly shop andq ask what's been working.

Thanks sbecker
Will the shop be open on sun?
thanks for the advice

Now that you bring it up, I am not sure if they are open. I am sure one of the regulars will chime in and advise.

I am also a beginner (got my first rod as a christmas gift) thinking about heading up to the little lehigh on thursday. Thanks for the suggestions.

I understand winter fishing can be slow, are there any other spots where I can catch fish this time of year?

Testudo,

Welcome to the forum and your new addiction.

Try looking for brookie streams in your area. The fish commission has a list of class a wild trout streams on their web site.

Brookies tend to be more cooperative this time of year than trout in bigger streams unless its a spring creek. At least that's been my experience.

This year a size 18 caddis larvae has been my brookie go to fly.

I fished the LL yesterday and the best flies were Al's Rat size 22, zebra midge size 20. I also used a PT size 16 and dropped the Rat of the back of that.
Use plenty of weight to get on the bottom. All the takes were very soft. Don't be afraid to set the hook at any small bump.
The best time for fishing was between 11 and 2 when it warmed up a little.
Bill

Johnh I will be heading up there Sunday as well have some new flies to try. But all the staple patterns Becker said are good. I even had a few takes the other week on caddis pupae and small double bunny patterns. The fly shop is usually open till 2 on Sunday's. If there is smoke from the chimney he is open.

Thanks daman1277
good luck testudo let me know how you do. It will be my first time out too. I was in yellowstone over the summer and had a fly fishing guide in big sky montana on a river (cant remember what the river was called off hand) and I loved it. I didnt caatch no trout but I got addicted and thats all ill be doing is fly fishing

hey all, just got back from my first day on the little lehigh. unfortunately i wasn't able to catch any fish, but it was really a beautiful day to be on the water. there was some action for other anglers but it was spotty. just one of those days i guess. can't wait to get back out there and hopefully land my first trout. johnh, good luck on sunday. the little lehigh is a nice place to fish, i think you'll like it.

Thanks testudo20 I spin fished that before but never fly fish is the only true fly only the stretch by the shop and is that where you fished. I was never down in there before

Back