First time at the vise

G

Grape

I gave the vise a shot for the first time this week.

Started off with the estaz

faz9dl.jpg

then tried the caddis

2v31yy8.jpg

and finally a wooly bugger.

hx3uiq.jpg

I was pretty happy with the bugger, even my daughter approved of it LOL

9s6q06.jpg

Nice work!

Looks pretty good! I remember my first bugger, by the time I got done you couldn't get find the eye since there was so many thread wraps.

Thanks guys! It only took me 15-20 mins to do that bugger! My biggest issue was snapping the thread, I only did it 3 times LOL

Grape, not bad at all for your first. Breaking thread happens to all of us from time to time. Don't know what thread you are using. If you are not already doing so. Flys that size I would be using 6/0.
But looks like you are off to a great start.

Keep cranking them out.

GenCon

Thanks GenCon. I don't remember what thread I was using but I will double check. To be honest, I think the bobbin is tight and doesn't allow the thread to flow smoothly. I guess because it is a brand new one. I did give it a little extra stretch and that seemed to help some.

I could be misinterpreting your post, but it sounds like you pull on the bobbin until more thread unspools. The bobbin isn't supposed to unspool the thread. Use your thumb/fingers to unwind thread by turning the spool. That should solve some of your breaking issues.

The flies look great though. Much nicer than my first attempts.

I suspect that you do not have the bobbin tension adjusted correctly. I disagree with pageologist you should not have to manipulate the spool of thread with your fingers to play more thread out while tying

Check out this video
https://youtu.be/e9m9Ilan-rM

Thanks Nomad, that's exactly what was my issue

Great glad to hear it helped.

@nomad - Really? I was taught that the thread was spooled out with your fingers. I was unaware that the bobbin was supposed to function in that way. Thank you for the correction. Ill make adjustments to mine and try it out.

PAgeologist wrote:
@nomad - Really? I was taught that the thread was spooled out with your fingers. I was unaware that the bobbin was supposed to function in that way. Thank you for the correction. Ill make adjustments to mine and try it out.

Either way is OK. It's a matter of personal preference.

PAgeologist wrote:

Yep, give it a try. There really isn't a "right" or wrong way to tie. It is really just what works for you.

I picked up on the thread and bobbin tension through reading and watching a lot of reputable fly tying tutorials on YouTube. Theoretically, with the bobbin tension correctly adjusted following the info in the video one should be able to start laying down thread wraps and hold the bobbin say 1" from the hook shank and wrap the entire spool of thread on the hook and never need to move the bobbin any closer or farther from the hook or touch the thread spool. I like tying with this technique as it find it more efficient.

I watch a number of videos myself, but never picked up on how they spooled out thread. I will keep an eye on that now.

I see how that would be more efficient, especially on flies where a good many wraps are needed (like thread or floss body flies). I would think that it would provide more consistency with thread tension as well (one of many issues I still struggle with).

I keep my thread tension just a hair tighter than I can pull it off from wrapping. Pull down an inch or two, wrap, repeat.

If I need tight wraps or loops, just lay a finger on the spool to grip it.

When tying, thread tension needed and desired is variable. Think of your bobbin as a fly reel. Set the drag (bobbin tension) at a comfortable setting and palm the spool to increase tension on the thread and release for less tension.

Enjoy tying. Solves many problems by relaxing the tier.

Back