first time articulated streamer

T

thesmayway

I ordered material to tie the Galloup T&A streamer and got the hooks today but still waiting on the rest... so I tried one with what I had. I'm on a mission for big browns upstate so I think I'll tie it in brook and rainbow trout colors. I'm not sure the marabou I have is correct for this fly. I'm relatively new to tying but be brutal on the critique, I want to get it right. It's not as sparse around the beads as it looks, I just moved the feathers so you could see.

20150421_000714_zpsc2a762d4.jpg

It's a start and everyone has to start somewhere. The marabou looks ok to me. Really all you want in the marabou is decent length fibers and a thin stem so you can palmer it easily. One thing I made the mistake of doing when I first started was trying to cram too much stuff on the hook. It makes the fly heavy when it's wet, and often it doesn't fish as well as a fly tied so the materials can flow. I think you're on the right track, now just keep practicing.

Looks like it will catch fish to me. It does seem as though you may have a bit too much marabou, reason being is that it gets HEAVY but other than that it looks good!

Once you have your tail tied in, you only need two plumes to cover the shank, as long as they are the right size, and then one for the wing. On your front hook you'll need a little less bou. I'd also suggest adding some contrast into the fly. All black works and will fish fine, but contrast seems to work well for me.

It will work fine,Tie it it brown two for smallies.You can wrap marabou just like any other hackle feather it keeps the big look with out all the bulk.

Ok thanks guys. This was more or less practice until I get the other colors. I'll use it in muddy and stained water too.

Maybe you can provide me some feedback on fishing it. One of my favorite streams for browns is small enough to jump across in many areas. They hide in the brush and undercut banks. How do I fish this when the stream is only 3 feet wide? Should I use a sinking line?

Cast upstream of a suspected lie, mend to put a belly in your line, and let the current pull it downstream broadside of your target. If you're lucky or really good, you'll be able to get the current to pull the streamers under the bank a bit too. I prefer sinking lines for the vast majority of my streamer fishing. With a stream that small, i think I'd use a weighted pattern. There isn't going to be a lot of time to get the fly in zone so some weight will help put it there quicker. Another option is to jig a fly past the suspected lie. Depending on the current you can als

Back