First pike on the fly!

S

somersetian

First off I know I shouldn't lay a fish on a 2x6 I use for my seat in my boat, I was shaking and couldn't get the hook out with it in the net, beginner error. This was literally turning into my fish of 1000 casts, been trying for a year and half. Didn't measure it but it was a little over 2' I think. Caught it at the quemahoning dam in boswell pa. Two things I need are a better net and a landing pad. I think it would have been much easier if someone was with me.

Attachments

• 17883878_145618965969393_3604672360240935170_n.jpg
    17883878_145618965969393_3604672360240935170_n.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 7
Nice job!

It's prime time for pike right now.

Yes, you'll want a bigger net (some muskie guys use cradles but these are specialty items and hard to transport if wading). It's also common among the toothy crowd to carry heavy wire cutters and if a fish is hooked strongly to simply cut the hooks so as to get the fish back in the water quickly. Treble hooks are easier to replace than flies, but I would't hesitate to wreck a fly if it meant getting the fish back safetly.

Nice job. Pike are awesome! My pike plans from a month ago ended up turning into a steelhead trip. What a shame. Walker lake by me has pike so I may scoot down there one of these days soon, but I've been having to much fun with wild browns and Brooks.

The best part was theres this little cove area that in the summer is filled with weeds and it has structure all around the bank. I kept saying to myself that has to be where they are at. This time they were. Heading back tom evening if this weather holds out.

Congrats man!!

Hoping to get my first musky this weekend. LOL odds are a bit against me. Where I will be fishing also has pike and pickerel, but I have my heart on a pure strain musky. Not a tiger musky , not a pike, not a pickerel, a musky. LOL

But I will be shaking in my boots if anything wacks one of the flies I tied. I have caught a few pike and pickerel on spinning gear, but i think the only warm water fish I have ever caught on fly stuff was bluegill, rock bass, and I think a small mouth. Any of those toothy critters will be a blast on the fly, no matter how big or little it is.

I know the odds are more likely for me that I will catch a pike or pickerel, but i am just so set on a musky. I am hoping it won't take me 2 years to catch one, but more than likely it will.

I will be wading on Saturday.

What fly did you use on him? I tied up quite a few more musky based flies in the 9-14" range, but also tied a few craft fur bait fish, large cry fish, and some other clouser type patterns as well.

Great looking pike! Nice work!

Back