First NEPA stud of the year

This is the system I've been using for a dropper tag. It seems to work pretty well, although I know there are a lot of different systems to rig a dropper/point fly.

This is the system I've been using for a dropper tag. It seems to work pretty well, although I know there are a lot of different systems to rig a dropper/point fly.

Pretty nifty, I may try that out.

My comment regarding the tippet ring was more in line with this theory: You have your mono-rig running to your tippet ring as usual. When you add your tippet, though, only add to it the length of tippet where you want your first dropper. At this point, then add another tippet ring. Tie off your dropper from the ring on its own piece of tippet, and then take your desired tippet length from there down to your point fly.

The only downsides, if we can consider the first one a downside, is the use of two tippet rings. The only other downside is your dropper would not sit off of your main leader and protrude as much as the tag end of a knot.

When I tie droppers, I do it two separate ways. 1) either use the tag end from my double or triple surgoen's knot. 2) Connect my point fly from a piece of tippet that is also tied to the eye of my dropper fly. This way, both flies are in line.

Remember, I am not much of a euro/mono rig guy, but I still generally fish 2 nymphs under a yarn indy. Also, I generally fish my indies tight to my line, meaning I don't make long casts usually. I lob the indy into a likely spot, and get a short but great drift through small pockets of water.

My comment regarding the tippet ring was more in line with this theory: You have your mono-rig running to your tippet ring as usual. When you add your tippet, though, only add to it the length of tippet where you want your first dropper. At this point, then add another tippet ring. Tie off your dropper from the ring on its own piece of tippet, and then take your desired tippet length from there down to your point fly.

The only downsides, if we can consider the first one a downside, is the use of two tippet rings. The only other downside is your dropper would not sit off of your main leader and protrude as much as the tag end of a knot.

When I tie droppers, I do it two separate ways. 1) either use the tag end from my double or triple surgoen's knot. 2) Connect my point fly from a piece of tippet that is also tied to the eye of my dropper fly. This way, both flies are in line.

Remember, I am not much of a euro/mono rig guy, but I still generally fish 2 nymphs under a yarn indy. Also, I generally fish my indies tight to my line, meaning I don't make long casts usually. I lob the indy into a likely spot, and get a short but great drift through small pockets of water.
Points all well-taken. I didn't really think about adding multiple tippet rings into a system, as you mentioned. There are so many ways to rig a system that I think it all boils down to what works and what the angler is comfortable (and confident) fishing. Obviously there are some very wrong ways to rig a system, but there is no singular "right" way. I know there are some who fish 2-3 nymphs in line and have success as well.

Pretty nifty, I may try that out.
Yeah, old habits are hard to break and don't fix what ain't broken and all that, but this is intriguing and may even take out a weak point, whether it's actually weak or not ;)

Points all well-taken. I didn't really think about adding multiple tippet rings into a system, as you mentioned. There are so many ways to rig a system that I think it all boils down to what works and what the angler is comfortable (and confident) fishing. Obviously there are some very wrong ways to rig a system, but there is no singular "right" way. I know there are some who fish 2-3 nymphs in line and have success as well.
I have tried what you are suggesting too, Josh, but now try to avoid an excess of terminal tackle and knots.

Nothing worse than a squiggle at the end of the line where once was a fish :eek:

I have tried what you are suggesting too, Josh, but now try to avoid an excess of terminal tackle and knots.

Nothing worse than a squiggle at the end of the line where once was a fish :eek:
A pain I, and every other angler, has experienced at some point, no doubt.

I never had an issue with the triple surgeons but recently discovered the figure eight knot and find it easier to tie

I have no problems using a surgeons knot using the bottom tag as my dropper. Easy to tie for me.

Check out this video from Devin Olsen about why not to use a blood knot tag as your dropper.

Video at 19:30

Do you always use the bottom tag, Tom?
Yo, why are you and a mod hijacking my thread!??!

Kidding... I am glad this became more of an educational discussion than a (not so) humble brag thread ;)

Carry on...

Yo, why are you and a mod hijacking my thread!??!

Kidding... I am glad this became more of an educational discussion than a (not so) humble brag thread ;)

Carry on..
Chris, you could have answered the question too, ya know? I usually use the upper tag.....

Chris, you could have answered the question too, ya know? I usually use the upper tag.....
The upper tag is not the one to use, it tears through the knot and fails.

Always use the lower tag on a surgeons knot.

That info is pretty universal in the FFing / dropper world.

Why though? How, if the knot and tags are identical, as I'm assuming they would be, would that cause a failure?

I'm not doubting you. I'm seeking enlightenment.

I have heard not to trust the tag of a blood knot but I have used them for years and never recall one breaking. Granted I don't fish as often as Devin Olsen.

I normally just use a triple surgeons to make a dropper and have landed plenty of good fish on them, but you’d be hard pressed to find a better knot than the Orvis tippet knot in terms of breaking strength. I just hate tying them with dry fishing hands.

Solid one right there!

Nice! a real beauty.

Back