First Musky on the Fly.... almost

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

I have a week off before I start my new job so I've been killin some time.

My 7' 3" 2 weight TFO is always tucked away in my truck somewhere lately because I can fish just about any damn trickle for chubs, redeyes, sunnys, bluegills, small bass and smaller trout with it.

Yesterday,...I guess yesterday, (although I haven't slept yet). Anyway, I went fishing in a tiny trickle that flows into a backwater of the Susquehanna. I caught many shiners chubs and assorted member of the sunfish family.

Then, I slowly drove along the backwater glaring at the water spotting with my polorized shades on. This is a tactic I use regularly for this area. The area is a backwater that is empty during parts of the dry season but, like now, backs up a half mile and is about sixty feet across and one to three feet deep with slightlyh stained water.

While driving I saw what I thought was a bass suspended at the surface. I parked and stalked. Realizing the shape was more likely a stick. Then realizing that I was slowly changinging directing realized it was a baby musky. I actually spotted two of them about 12 and 14 inches.

It took just the right cast to get a micro clouser over the one musky and it chased the damn thing right to my feet at the bank and suspended motionless for at least two minutes looking at me as I snagged the clouser in a tree.

I managed two strikes on the 2 weight but for some reason the hook would not set on the ultralight set up.

Wow! Just amazing watching the two small musky working an area. I watched them drift under small mats of algea, out of casting reach, and then dart violently toward baitfish, their ambush techniques are "sick". A lot learned today. I will be scouting the area for them again soon.

Jake,
If you get one of those guys....there's the Toothy Critter Success Thread in the WW forum. Post a pic and play along (I'm still trying).

It might happen this week.

The thing that amazed me the most was how the musky would follow the clouser as I ripped it through the water within inches even when I stripped rediculously fast and stop on a dime just an inch behind it when I stopped stripping.

It seemed to me that the two strikes were produced when I sped up my retrieve even more and with shorter pauses. So, faster and slightly more erractic. I guess it gave the musky less time to examine the small clouser.

Their speed is amazing, reminds me of a cat chasing a laser beem.

Back