First Gemmie Carving

MathFish wrote:
FarmerDave, HAH!

I actually went out to a local creek and harvested quite a few rocks for future carvings... I picked up quite a few, so i think I’m good for a little while.

Thanks again for the compliments everyone!

As you knew, I was joking. But believe it or not, I once sold a rock on the internet. Actually two. I had some fixed rate Priority mail boxes and was trying to get even with the mail carrier.

Anyway, if you lived closer, I have a great supply and you would be more than welcome to poke around. Apparently several million years ago my farm was beach front property. Some of the sandstone has cool patterns left by the waves or current. Maybe Maxima or Gulf Greyhound remembers it.

MathFish wrote:
FarmerDave, HAH!

I actually went out to a local creek and harvested quite a few rocks for future carvings... I picked up quite a few, so i think I’m good for a little while.

Thanks again for the compliments everyone!

Did you have a permit for that?

Well, Dave, maybe Max and GG remember, but you know I'm too young to recall that.

Geez, jif.., you wouldn't need a permit for that, would you? I hope you're just kidding.

Geologist reporting in, I've bought sold and transported a silly amount of rocks. Farmer we all used to be under water! I bet you could find some cool fossils if you know where to look!

rrt wrote:
Well, Dave, maybe Max and GG remember, but you know I'm too young to recall that.

Geez, jif.., you wouldn't need a permit for that, would you? I hope you're just kidding.

I don't know... Depending on the stream, one might actually need a permit. EV and the like have a boatload of protection.

I need some flat stones for landscaping. But due to recent flooding, I don't need no stinkin permit. I can pick them up in my woods quite a ways from the crick.

drakeking412 wrote:
Geologist reporting in, I've bought sold and transported a silly amount of rocks. Farmer we all used to be under water! I bet you could find some cool fossils if you know where to look!

Hmmm.

Do you know where I live, or are you going by just the earlier post. ;-)

The rocks I sold were two halves of a mortality plate, completely full of brachiopods.

However, I didn't pick that from my own farm, but I could see my farm from where I picked it.

Too big for a paperweight. So I busted it in half and sold both pieces on Ebay. What can I say, it wouldn' fit in one box. ;-)

Plenty more where it came from.

FarmerDave wrote:

Hmmm.

Do you know where I live, or are you going by just the earlier post. ;-)

The rocks I sold were two halves of a mortality plate, completely full of brachiopods.

However, I didn't pick that from my own farm, but I could see my farm from where I picked it.

Too big for a paperweight. So I busted it in half and sold both pieces on Ebay. What can I say, it wouldn' fit in one box. ;-)

Plenty more where it came from.

Just going by the earlier post and the fact most of us were probably underwater. That's pretty cool you found a mortality plate full of brachs, I still haven't although I don't do much rock hounding if any anymore. I was always looking for a trilobyte

I certainly hope that you wouldn’t need a permit to grab a couple rocks from a creek bed...

But “hoping that you wouldn’t need a permit” certainly isn’t the same as “knowing you don’t need a permit”...

I am curious if anyone out there knows the answer to this.

It seems crazy that you might, but I wouldn’t be terribly shocked if you do!

drakeking412 wrote:

Just going by the earlier post and the fact most of us were probably underwater. That's pretty cool you found a mortality plate full of brachs, I still haven't although I don't do much rock hounding if any anymore. I was always looking for a trilobyte

Yea, me too. Haven't found any Trilobites, but I haven't spent a large amount of time looking. Did find a few other shell fossils in with brachiopods, but no Trilobites.

I have one cool looking rock sitting on a windowsill at home, but we probably shouldn’t hijack Mathfish’s thread.

MathFish wrote:
I certainly hope that you wouldn’t need a permit to grab a couple rocks from a creek bed...

But “hoping that you wouldn’t need a permit” certainly isn’t the same as “knowing you don’t need a permit”...

I am curious if anyone out there knows the answer to this.

It seems crazy that you might, but I wouldn’t be terribly shocked if you do!

What rocks? ;-)

But seriously, I wouldn't worry about it unless you start selling them. ;-)

Well, “if” I start selling them, I would only charge for the trout. I’ll throw the rock in for free...

Back