First fly that you tied that you landed a fish on?

A nice November brown on a mess of ringneck tail feathers That i had bagged that fall and some brown yarn that i found in an old sewing kit.showed the picture of the brown and the fly to my local fly shop owner and he said really nice fish and a darn ugly fly,(been friends ever sense)Was also my first ringneck so i doubled up.

It was a bucktail streamer - I think a natural over white one. It was 50 years ago so I forget the details. Bucktails were kind of like the wooly bugger of the era. Got my first large smallmouth on a natural over white bucktail with a grizzly hackle collar at the head that was greased and fished in the film. Caught quite a few in my youth.

Also tied plenty of muskrat flies, with great success. Our recipe was simpler: hook, black thread, muskrat fur dubbed into a football shape. Back in the day when lots of kids trapped muskrat fur was always free and plentiful. Plenty of scraps to be had.

Chartreuse bead-headed crystal meth - tied for Erie steelhead in 2005

In 1966 a fat 12 inch rainbow ate my Royal coachman on Neshannock creek

afishinado wrote:
I have a real back-in-the-day story. As a Cub Scout I received issues of Boy's Life magazine. In the magazine there was instructions on how to tie a "fly" (more like a lure) from the plastic lid of a margarine container cut in an upside down "V" shape and tied to a hook. Stripes or a line was painted on it if I recall.

Anyway, that was the first fly I tied. I had it in my fishing box for years but don't recall if I ever caught a fish on it. After I showed an interest my parents got me a fly tying kit for Christmas and it took off from there.

Good stuff. We're like brothers from another mother. :lol:

I can recall as a kid reading an article in an outdoor magazine on how to tie a basic nymph. I was fascinated! I borrowed some of my Mom's sewing thread and proceeded to go at it. The article said to finish the fly by "gluing" it. So I grabbed the old Elmers Schoolglue and coated the fly with it. Little did I know that Elmers isn't waterproof. When I tried fishing with this fly I was mystified why it turned white. :-o

Needless to say, it took me a few more tries before I tied a fly that actually caught a fish.

The first fish I caught on a fly I tied was also the first fish that I caught twice. It was a brown from the LL. I have no idea what I caught it with the first time. The 2nd time was with an elk hair caddis. I was looking through pictures months later trying to find something and realized both fish looked very similar. After comparing some markings on both and a paflyfish thread, it was decided it was the same fish.

The first fly I ever tied that caught me a fish would have been bucktail, either one color or two, tied to a 4xl hook with a cone up front for weight. A very simple streamer that is extremely effective. I remember that was the first thing I tied and it basically just taught me how to actually lash stuff down to the hook. But I tied and fished those and caught a lot of smallmouth bass on them. I can remember the first trout I caught on a fly rod (a wild brown from Kish Creek in December) but it was on a fly that I purchased, not that I tied.

So yeah, bucktail streamer and a smallie.

Of course... never can forget it. 8 years old. Greenwinnie (tied in red) with pheasant tail, tail. Creative.... I know.

TrtnBux wrote:

Greenwinnie (tied in red)

I prefer San Juan Worms (tied in bright green)

not sure either a honey bug or a latex caddis larva cream

Back