First fly that you tied that you landed a fish on?

sroach

sroach

Was just thinking about this the other day. I just started tying and in the spring time I caught a nice 9" trout on a black ant I tied. What a great feeling on catch a fish on a fly you tied yourself.

Does everyone remember the first fly that you tied that caught a fish?

I started tying in the mid '90's because of my addiction to Steelhead fishing. My first fish on my own fly was on a Blood Dot. Egg (off white) body with a steelhead orange dot.

13" Lehigh River brown on a #10 light Cahill that looked more like a mop than a refined Catskill dry. I still have that fly.

A muskrat nymph.

There are several variations of it. The one I was taught was just:

Body: dubbed muskrat fur.

Head: A few wraps of peacock herl.

Nope, I sure don't remember. catching fish on flies Ive tied is not anymore memorable or meaningful to me then catching fish with worms. I can assume a hares ear because that's what I fish 90% of the time. Im sure it was a giant fish to since all I catch are giants.

i dont remember the first fish i caught with a fly but i do remember the first tree i caught with a fly. south platte river, colorado. 1981.

First fish was on some weird thread bodied thing with unknown feathers found in my backyard. Tried to make a hackle look having no clue what I was doing, but it kinda looked like a soft hackle, but with really stiff mystery barbules.

Tied on my pops shop vice and a way too large eagle claw snell hook with the bait barbs crushed down and my moms sewing thread. It was brown and buggy!

Wish I still had it. It was a “dry fly” and sank like a godamn rock ;) good times!

Sunfish on small wet flies. the first trout? Caught on a small muddler minnow in the Little Lehigh.

First subsurface was a green weenie.

First dry was a sulphur emerger. (Still the best year I have ever had for surface activity = my first year fly fishing)

Parmachene Belle dry on a spinning rod on Big Spring. I was around 8 and fishing with some buddies after school when we came across a 12” stocked brown in a pool created by the root ball of a downed tree. Tried minnows, worms and velveeta cheese, but no interest. As we were about to leave, one of my buddies pointed out the fly on the patch on my vest. I put a split shot above the fly an chucked it toward the trout who took it immediately. That was 53 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Hares Ear tied on a #10 hook taken by a spunky stocker rainbow of Maybe 12”. It will always be a trophy to me! I clipped off the fly and saved it.

Stocked brownie in the FFO area of the West Branch of the Octararo Creek on a size 14 black fur ant - 38 years ago.

While being on recovery from a broken leg I began tying on my own with a vice and kit ordered from Flyfisher's Paradise. No classes, just the book that came with the kit.

Hairs ear + sucker spawn=fish on=hooked on tying my own flies.

My 1st trout was on a black nosed dace. Ressica Falls. I was 14 im 59 now.

GenCon

I took a tying class in winter of 1984.
And have a fond recollection of my first outing the following spring to kettle creek.
Although I can't quite remember the exact fly - probably a blue quill or hendrickson - I do remember the excitement of catching fish on my own creations for the first time

a brook trout on a mickey fin streamer. Beaver Brook in NJ. I wish I would have kept the fly. I believe I was 12 or 13.
First dry fly- Quill Gordon
First nymph Tan caddis larvae.

I have a real back-in-the-day story. As a Cub Scout I received issues of Boy's Life magazine. In the magazine there was instructions on how to tie a "fly" (more like a lure) from the plastic lid of a margarine container cut in an upside down "V" shape and tied to a hook. Stripes or a line was painted on it if I recall.

Anyway, that was the first fly I tied. I had it in my fishing box for years but don't recall if I ever caught a fish on it. After I showed an interest my parents got me a fly tying kit for Christmas and it took off from there.

Back