First fly fishing attempt - a report and 2 questions

H

Heynow

I’ve been reading up on fly fishing, got my basic equipment, and today stopped at a stocked stream on my way to work. It was my first time casting to fish; I didn’t catch anything but still had a blast.

I saw a cluster of fish and decided to throw a parachute adams. I thought I made a few good casts, floating it right above some fish, but they weren’t interested. I then tied on a bead head pheasant tail nymph. I did not have an indicator so it was a little difficult to monitor, but still no luck. Lastly, I tied on a black wooly bugger. This seemed to get the fish a little more animated, but again no luck.

My first question: Does anybody have general advice (different gameplan or different fly, etc) for the next time when I’m in the same area?

My second question:

I found it more difficult to cast with the wet flies. I had floating line, but with the leader/fly sinking it was harder to manage – especially in this tight stream with lots of overhanging branches.

I was essentially roll casting. Is that an okay method for wet flies? Do I just need more practice, or are there other techniques for casting wet flies in tight quarters?

Thanks for reading!

I realize you are new, but carry 2 leaders: longer for dries and shorter for nymphs.

If you are strapped for cash, sticky-backed foam is cheap and can make pinch on indicators. But you are better off buying something like a thingamabobber.
When using an indicator, let it move with the bubbles or slightly slower. If it is moving sideways to faster than the bubbles you have a lot of drag.

For dries and stockies I would wait until there is a hatch. not saying you can't/won't catch fish, but better off with flashy nymphs.

Hey, HeyNow

Welcome to the Jungle.

Remember to practice catch and release with all trees and shrubs.....

Seriously, you are about to get a lot of help from knowledgeable anglers. Read the replies, try the suggestions out and you will see a change in your results.

In the meantime, enjoy yourself out there!

Dave

My second question:

I found it more difficult to cast with the wet flies. I had floating line, but with the leader/fly sinking it was harder to manage – especially in this tight stream with lots of overhanging branches.

I was essentially roll casting. Is that an okay method for wet flies? Do I just need more practice, or are there other techniques for casting wet flies in tight quarters?

Thanks for reading!

I like Foxgap's description of nymphing as more "lobbing" than casting, and yes, it's essentially a roll cast and lift the line off the water as it drifts back toward you. Accuracy requires practice, but a strike indicator does make things easier.

The trees are just part of the game. That's how I give away my best flies.

Be stealthy. If they see you, even stockers, they might not bite. If you cast over them a few times, they might not bite. Try and make your first cast perfect. I agree with the above poster about skipping the dry if they are not rising.

Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate it. I will continue with the nymphs unless I see 'em rising, and the shorter leader makes sense.

Welcome to the board Heynow

When using an indicator, let it move with the bubbles or slightly slower. If it is moving sideways to faster than the bubbles you have a lot of drag.

Think I am going to purchase a strike indicator as this will help me know if I am dragging or not. Is what you wrote the basic rule for us newbies?

Any opinions of the type or brand of indicator we should buy?

Use an indicator for everything but dry flies or with them as well?

Thanks in advance

Stagger,
Strike indicators are definitely worth using, esp for beginners. They're mainly used for dead drifting nymphs. I don't use them for any application where your line is taut, such as swinging wet flies or stripping streamers. Indicators are also not used with dry flies although there may be a few specialty exceptions to this. With dries you can see the strike and thus don't need an indicator.

There are many styles and sizes of indicators. For trout fishing I like the barrel shaped versions that are are split and have a rubber band center that are designed to be rotated in opposite directions. For beginners, the sticky foam versions that you pinch on to the leader work well too but they can only be used once and don't allow for moving up and down the leader. In a pinch, you can just tie a tuft of bright colored yarn to your leader.

I'am new to fly fishing ,retired,the fly pole I had when a teen is junk .I'am 63 now and time on my hands. my wife got me a new one . so when is comes what next?The flys I have not sure the names of them. There are so mush hatches now,wha to use. the spring is wrerd. Stumpy

The bubbles thing isn't a rule for newbies, just a good rule over all.
The water at the surface moves faster than water even a few inches down. The bubbles are a perfect speed indicator of the speed of the top layer of current. If your indicator moves sideways the fly isn't behaving naturally, therefore not food. If the fly is moving way faster than the water, not food either.

As far as indicators I carry several types with me: Yarn, thingamabobber, and pinch on foam.
The yarn ones you can make and the pinch on foam ones you can make; foam being easier. Just cut a 2" X 1/2" strip of sticky-backed foam (leaving the paper ont he sticky side). In the middle cut 2 notches. this will giv eyou a place to bend the foam on itself and an easier place to rip it off if you don't want it anymore.

As far as moving foam pinch ons it can be done a couple times. Just forcefull slide it and then pinch it really hard back in place.

Oh, and thte important part of indicators...if it wiggles, stops or moves at all, set the hook.

For dries: the dry fly is your indicator.

Thanks guys .. good stuff on the bubbles and drag, and indicators. Going to be picking some up prior to my next attempt to fish

Hi Stumpy,

Welcome to the jungle.

I see Brookville is more to the western part of the state, which would make it difficult to get to the Little Lehigh next Saturday. It's too bad, because there will be a gathering of new and not so newbies there getting instruction from a forum member or two or three.

Read this forum and suggested reading you'll be pointed to by members here. That will help a lot!

Hopefully, someone from your area will be able to hook up with you and give you some of the on-stream instruction I was lucky enough to get from my friend day and from forum members.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Dave

Stagger, I'll give you a couple of indicators for the 5th . The fly shop has a buch of different types...I'll float (get it, punny eh?) you a couple to try.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Thanks guys .. good stuff on the bubbles and drag, and indicators. Going to be picking some up prior to my next attempt to fish

Thanks ,Dave I been r eading 2books on flyfishing, stumpy

To start tie on a size 14 olive dry hatching sedge works best
cast along structures,rocks, water spills strip back slowly you will hit gills and small mouth. this will help you put it all together. Ponds are even better to start.
Prospecting for Trout by Tom Rosenbauer is a great book to read before even attempting the the picky and finicky trouts.

you tube is a great resource to watch where people cast for specific fish. Any video with lefty kreh is good for beginners.

when nymphing thingamabobbers are easy to use and work well.

once you catch a fish on a fly rod you will be hooked for life.

Thank you Volksnurse .. If I don't get to ****s or a fly shop I will take you up on that offer. Oh, if I catch my first fish with them you can forget abt getting them back :)

Prospecting for Trout by Tom Rosenbauer is a great book to read before even attempting the the picky and finicky trouts.
Haha .. just put that book on hold at my local B&N for pick up. Got great reviews on AMazon and that guy (Rosenbauer) suppose to know his siht

You can get good advice here. However, seeing and detailed explanation is best. I recommend visiting a good fly shop like Flyfisherman's paradise in State College. Call ahead and inquire when Steve will be in. Let him know you are coming by.
Thing is, it's probably an hour and a half away from brookeville.

BTW they have the twist on indicators (ones with the slit and rubberband) one other poster mentioned. I use these most of the time too.

PS I do not work for them, just like the shop a lot.

Back