First Brook trout!

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I've been hearing about people catching brookies on small streams, and have been meaning to try it for a while. I recently ordered a 7'6" 3 weight from cabela's, and today I had a couple hours to spare, so decided to do a little exploring.

I ended up on "Stream X", which is a tributary to "Stream Y". I was actually shooting for "Z", but I didn't have a physical map, and drove out of cellular data service once I got into the State game lands.

There's a bit of a learning curve to fishing small streams, I think. I kept finding myself walking right into little pools that held fish without even realizing it. Eventually I started to figure out what to look for, and i caught a few pretty little brook trout. I was surprised at how hard they fought for such tiny fish! They were really determined to get off the hook, and a couple of them did manage to.

In the 2 hours or so that I was on the stream brought 3 fish to hand total, one of which threw the hook and escaped after I had already grabbed him!

I'm hoping to go explore "Z" some other day when i've got a little more time. Maybe meet up with some other PAFF'ers that are close by.

Oh, and for the record, I also enjoyed casting the Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3wt. It's got a slower action than the other rods I own - I think it's really comfortable and easy to cast.

Some structure :
20130508_143603.jpg

20130508_155448.jpg

20130508_154410.jpg

Congratulations, may many more come to hand.

Jeremy,

I tell myself "Cast first, ask questions later", which to me, means cast the fly first, and then wonder if there are fish there. I still end up walking through a spot that holds a fish now and then, or get too close, and spook some, but it's a discipline you'll develop that will yield more fish.

You definitely have some monsters there :)

Congrats, and welcome to the club.
As for wading, don't unless you absolutely have to, most of the streams are small enough and don't require wading to get from pool to pool or to the next run. walk to banks.

Nice pics. I really like the dam with the gate.

Brookies are fun. Its all we have in my immediate area.

Good stuff Jeremy!

L_soult wrote:

You're very fortunate L. It seems I will have to travel abt 80+ miles anytime I want to get into brookies.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Good stuff Jeremy!

L_soult wrote:

You're very fortunate L. It seems I will have to travel abt 80+ miles anytime I want to get into brookies.

Tangles, snags, lost flies, and jagger bushes. All for a fish that runs like hell if you breathe to hard.

Luckily, it gives me something to do between the kid's soccer practices.

Attachments

• IMG_20130513_222117.jpg
    IMG_20130513_222117.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 4
Back