fire fly

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

a few buddies of mine are trying to help me devolp a firefly pattern. i thought if we had a small glow stick appox. .25 inches long and attached this to the belly and charged it, evening and night fishing this summer would be a breeze. but, tryu to find a glow stick like that. maybe glow paint? or is there and glow cloth? either way what do u guys think? any ideas?
i know this....i have been in the meadows with millions of fire flys. i gotta figure the trout see them and eat them.

Sal,

Once while visiting Allen Bright at the Spruce Creek Outfitters, I bought a pair of firefly beetles. Simply a foam beetle with a chartreuse butt, black thorax and some crystal flash sticking out the size...deadly.

Maurice

thanks maurice! that is one idea. im going to try and get some glow paint that charges with light. think im going to try some like you said and some with the paint. i think yours would work in the evening but at night they might be hard to see. probably the glo paint would work then.

SF,

I saw a post on the FFP board talking about using glow in the dark paint on the posts of parachute sulphers. You may want to check it out... link

Maurice wrote:
Sal,

Once while visiting Allen Bright at the Spruce Creek Outfitters, I bought a pair of firefly beetles. Simply a foam beetle with a chartreuse butt, black thorax and some crystal flash sticking out the size...deadly.

Maurice

There's a little more to the pattern than that. It calls for some specialty materials to get the butt and wings right. The recipe is given in Terrestrials by Ed Koch and Harrison Reeves. (There's a picture of the fly on the cover)
http://www.amazon.com/Terrestrials-Approach-Fishing-Synthetic-Materials/dp/0811734366

It's really effective fly! And there's a lot in the book besides the one fly.

Padraic wrote:
Maurice wrote:
Sal,

Maurice

There's a little more to the pattern than that. It calls for some specialty materials to get the butt and wings right. The recipe is given in Terrestrials by Ed Koch and Harrison Reeves. (There's a picture of the fly on the cover)
http://www.amazon.com/Terrestrials-Approach-Fishing-Synthetic-Materials/dp/0811734366

It's really effective fly! And there's a lot in the book besides the one fly.

Well Sal, now ya gotta buy a book too.... :-D

Just put some green on the butt....the fish can't read.

i dont think ill have to buy the book. my buddies are some pretty good fly tiers but we just wanted a way to get a good bright glow to the butt. after reading the other forums posting sounds like glo paint is the way to go. thanks for all the responses. :-D

pat catans sells glow in the dark foam and also i dont know if this is right but i read somewere that fish dont eat fireflies because of some chemical in them that is suposed to be poisonous

really! ive have to research that.....that would make this pointless wouldnt it! :-x

how about this......

nice! :-D

if you do find any information about the fireflies being posoinous i would like it if you could post because i am not 100% sure about that

Evidently they are, and yet trout hit them when they land on the water:
http://www.ndi4all.org/grade45/Firefly-c.html

"Fireflies are one of the few kinds of bugs that birds avoid eating. The chemical which makes them glow tastes bad and is poisonous."

I remember reading somewhere, about trout memory, An experiment was conducted where trout were fed wasps. Trout will hit wasps and get stung. Which makes you think that they'd stop trying to feed on them, and they would. For about 24hrs, then they would hit them again. So presumably, a trout has to find out that fireflies taste bad every night.

same goes for feeling the sting of the hook, pad..if you sting em wait 24 hrs. then try again..they dont eat them for the same reason they wont eat a water strider, they taste like crap..... :-D

Back