Finding wild trout in unexpected places

M

Mike

Over the years we have seen wild trout individuals and more frequently wild trout populations in some waters, habitats, and locations that were unexpected. This week's surprise was not nearly as dramatic as some that have been related to water quality or habitat degradation problems. It was simply a matter of geography. We were finding a few (very few) wild brown trout in tributaries to the main Brandywine Ck in the Chadds Ford, Chester Co (RT 1 vicinity) area, but more importantly a reproducing population in a stream that meets the criteria for designation in the future as a wild brown trout stream. While wild browns were present, the density, at least in the short, 100-150 yd stretch that was sampled, was not substantial enough to provide good fishing. Given the location, the expectation would have been that most or all of these streams would have been transitional or warmwater streams. As it was, many transitional and warmwater species were present. Still, finding a small population of wild trout that close to the Delaware/Pa line was pleasing and a bit of a surprise.

Thanks, Mike. As always you provide great information.

I think these reports are very encouraging and help me maintain a "glass-half-full" outlook for the possibility of even better wild trout fishing in sepa in the future.

Mike - that pop was mentioned at the WCFF meeting in February.

There are plans afoot this winter for further clean ups and possible habitat enhancement with the local conservancy.

it was a complete surprise to me too.

Back