finally!!!

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

after seven years of tying, I finally cleared my last hurdle: finally got the hang of tying upright duck quill wings! I know I probably don't need to know how, but I like tying traditional dry flies and upright quill wings are a necessity for these.

I like tying traditional drys also. It may become a lost art. Keep up the good work.

My favorites are bunched wood duck or mallard buy i can tie the quills it's just that after a few casts they aren't quills anymore they are bunched LOL

I gotta say that osprey ties some very nice traditional dry flies. Can't wait for early spring to give those hendricksons a try.

JayL............Thank you very much for the compliment but it was YOUR flies that saved my day , being the stubborn old bastid that i am i aqvoided beadhead flies until those you gave me , they saved my day on unfamiliar water and low confidence. Thanks buddy.

Congrats, I'm a bit jealous. I'm horrible at tying them.

Your next assigment is to learn to tie upright married quill wings.

Final exam is the Jock Scott. Get crackin'! :)

married wing dry by plumbob;

Attachments

• married wing robs.jpg
    married wing robs.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1
My quill wings all turn into bunched/upright divided wings in a couple of casts , I can tie them but when if fish them myself i guess i figure why waste the time? Those are beauties Sandfly , it's the time and effort i'm avoiding by tying upright divided wings instead of quill wings , mostly for myself , but if i was tying to make a living i would absolutely tie them 'cause they are beautiful and they will surely catch fly fishers.

There's something to be said for the abilitiy to do that, which I imagine can't be that hard, or else so many flies wouldn't have been patterned that way.

I just don't have the paitence to learn.

Maybe that'll be a goal for this year.

gfen...........they are not any harder than any other aspect of fly tying , i'd have to say the hardest part is the "pinch" required to get the base to bind down nice. I spin 2 loops with some slack in them pinch the quills as you tighten the loops. Like any other tying trick it's just do it n do it n do it till ya get it and then some. I tried everything i know to keep them from fraying when you false cast and i gave up.

Back