Finally pulled in trout

• Thread starter Stockclassphntm
  • Start date
S

Stockclassphntm

Hey all. New here and just thought id share a little success story of mine. im 19 now and have been fishing since i was about 4 with my dad. about 4 years ago i got my first fly rod. i attempted trout fishing with it for 2 years with no luck. i retired the fly rod after that, only bringing it out to mess around at local ponds for sunny and crappie every once and a while. this year though, i went to cabela's with my buddies the day before opening day. my one buddy is really into fly fishing, and as we browsed around the fly shop, i thought id give it another shot.

we get to the stoney creek on opening day, get the fly rods and waders out, and head down to the creek. i honestly thought id come home with out a single hit. we make our way to a bridge that's being fished pretty hard, with only a few fish pulled out here and there. we get into the creek about 20 yards downstream and start slowly making our way up, watching to see what the actions like. a guy and his son were leaving and said we could get into his spot. so we're standing in the middle of the creek, and start roll casting under the bridge. my buddy had a black bead head bugger on, and i had olive. as we fish, i watch him pull out one, then another...then another. i had pretty much gotten to the point where i was just casting and fishing to entertain myself. then, as i stripped in the bugger and paused it in the slow current...i got a hit. i thought no way. so i recast under the bridge, and slowly strip it in. i get a hit almost immediately and set the hook. i pulled in my first 5 trout on fly that day, and it's everything id hoped it would be. there's nothing that compares to it. since then, ive been pulling out at least 2 fish from the unami creek every time i go, with countless hits, just drifting scud and stripping buggers.

i gotta say, after hooking into dozens of trout this year on fly, i don't know what i did or why it took so long, but i'm addicted.

Welcome to our addiction, and to the board as well!

Welcome Stock.

Take soem time to browse through this Beginner's Forum as there are likely a lot of basic, beginner's questions being discussed here and feel free to ask any of your own.

I enjoy the serenity of the Stony Creek region, but I'm not much for rubbing elbows with fishermen all around me, so I usually try and avoid those waters during peak times.

Glad to hear you had a successful outing! I was camping along the river that day but didn't get to fishing.

Oh, and is the unami creek a similar water nearby? I'm not familiar with the term

Congrats! Good stuff.

BTW Gorosaurus, I think Stockclassphntm, given the location from his profile, was fishing another Stoney Creek in SE PA.

Great to see all you noobs have some success. Keep at it and have fun...the fish will come.

Back