Finally got a piece of the pie.

JayL wrote: “In my defense, I don't have any rods worth more than $150 or so.”

$150 rods catch fish too…at least on occasion.

There you have it - 3 choices laid out in front of you:

1. New $400 fly rod

2. $100 fly rod and $300 index stock fund

3. A down-and-dirty fishing trip out west

The choice is yours..............

JayL,
There is nothing wrong with splurging on yourself. Especially if you have some money to do so.
Every year I take 1 pay check and buy what ever I want; it's like giving your self a gift for working hard.

Think of this rod, or whatever you decide to do with the money, as a gift for landing a good job.

My suggestion: you have built a rod in the past right, so why no built another rod for about $250. This way you have your $400 rod, with money left over, and a feeling of accomplishment once complete. The rod should mean a little more to you to, plus it'll be one of a kind. If you go this route, really take your time while building and make it perfect.

Ugh,

You guys are right. I just really wanna splurge on the "upgrade". The western trip, as well as the fund and the building of a new rod are all very appealing too.

Anyone know of a nearby pier with some pigeons on it? I need to ponder. When the pigeons scatter, you'll know I made my decision and ran home, ala the seinfeld episode.

I still say cast as much as possible Jay, but check out the Sage Launch line. For around $180, you can get a 2 piece rod, for just under $200 you can get a 4 piece rod. It felt perfect in my hands, may or may not feel the same with you. Definately worth a look IMHO. The rest can be used for terminal tackle, tying supplies, hell you could even buy a new reel, line or spare spool if needed.

Yeah, I'm going to check them out for sure if I end up buying one. I'm not saying I'm dead set on spending the $400 I set aside. I do want to upgrade. My point is that I want to go, cast some, and if I decide I like what I feel, that I'll just buy the damn thing without worrying about cost. I've cast many many nice rods in my life, and I was always unable to buy them because of cost. I just want to take a flyer and say "to hell with it, I'll take it". If that comes in the form of a $100 rod, so be it. If it's $400... well, I'll pay it. Now, if it's $600, I walk. That's just too much. :)

I think it's been misunderstood that I HAVE to spend a ton of cash on a rod. As I said, I just want to buy what feels good for a change, as opposed to what is cheaper. This is, after all, my passion, and I wanna do it in the way that feels the best.

Jay,

this calls to mind a vingette that plays out over and over in my house

wife - " How many - (flyrods, bass rods, drivers, putters, rifles, shotguns, sand wedges, etc) do you need?

me - "one more than I currently have!'

reverse conversation for jewelry, shoes & any other female counterparts!

Jay:

Buy it now before the real bills in life catch up with you. Car Payments , mortgages, day care, student loans ......... Blow the wad now before you have more responsibility and thus more guilt.

Celebrate the fact the you got a job and your hard work paid off. I am with Mkern on this one. You need to celebrate. On the other hand you can easily pay for that rod by giving up something else. I gave up going to Starbuck's for new years. I have to walk by three of them on my way to work everyday. At 3 bucks a day x 260 work days a year. I may have enough for a really nice rod. Now if I gave up bars / beer, who knows maybe a BMW is in my future :pint:

When it's someone else's $400, listen to them when they tell you how to spend it. When it's yours, make up your own mind!!

jayL wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to check them out for sure if I end up buying one. I'm not saying I'm dead set on spending the $400 I set aside. I do want to upgrade. My point is that I want to go, cast some, and if I decide I like what I feel, that I'll just buy the damn thing without worrying about cost. I've cast many many nice rods in my life, and I was always unable to buy them because of cost. I just want to take a flyer and say "to hell with it, I'll take it". If that comes in the form of a $100 rod, so be it. If it's $400... well, I'll pay it. Now, if it's $600, I walk. That's just too much. :)

I think it's been misunderstood that I HAVE to spend a ton of cash on a rod. As I said, I just want to buy what feels good for a change, as opposed to what is cheaper. This is, after all, my passion, and I wanna do it in the way that feels the best.

You have my permission. :)

I'll sell you my Winston WT, 8 1/2 ft, 5 wt, which I won at a TU raffle.

I also recommend checking out some of St. Croix rods. Good stuff.

jay L,
PM sent on a good deal at local shop.

Skiltonian

Back