Filtered Water Bottles

• Thread starter Off The Path Outdoors
  • Start date
Off The Path Outdoors

Off The Path Outdoors

Does anyone have any experience with filtered water bottles like Lifestraw? I'm looking for a reliable, reusable bottle to keep with me that will allow me to drink straight from the stream when necessary. I would fill the bottle with clean water before the day, but I often find myself fishing for long periods of time without ever returning to the truck so I wanted to get some thoughts on this.

Does anyone have any experience with filtered water bottles like Lifestraw? I'm looking for a reliable, reusable bottle to keep with me that will allow me to drink straight from the stream when necessary. I would fill the bottle with clean water before the day, but I often find myself fishing for long periods of time without ever returning to the truck so I wanted to get some thoughts on this.
I have some larger, heavier duty units for extended backpacking trips but I don’t really carry them on day fishing excursions. They’re designed to filter larger quantities of water and wouldn’t be that convenient to carry and use to just get a quick fill up.

Like you, I’m usually away from my vehicle all day, but I just carry the water. I fish with a backpack (with a good hip belt - most important feature) based set up so carrying a few lbs of water weight isn’t an issue for me. I usually carry 2 qts in the Summer, but on a hot day, that probably isn’t enough to be honest and if I had access to more I’d drink it.

It’s honestly not a bad idea to carry one of the little ones you can put on a water bottle, even if just for emergencies. Thanks for the post, I’m going to look into this too.

Edit: I thought I recognized your handle name and avatar. I’ve seen your YT videos, and enjoyed them. I do the same kind of small stream fishing you do and know exactly what you mean about being miles away from your vehicle all day. I also always leave another quart of water in my vehicle, so even if I’m out when I get back to it I know I have some more there.

Last edited:
One of the larger ones I have is a Katadyn BeFree. They make a small 0.6L model that packs down to almost nothing. (The “bottle” is actually more of a rubber bag/bladder.) Might go with that, just as a backup to my current set up.

Seems like there are plenty of models out there too with the filter built into a larger hard bottle, if that’s what you’re looking for.

One of the larger ones I have is a Katadyn BeFree. They make a small 0.6L model that packs down to almost nothing. (The “bottle” is actually more of a rubber bag/bladder.) Might go with that, just as a backup to my current set up.

Seems like there are plenty of models out there too with the filter built into a larger hard bottle, if that’s what you’re looking for.
There are definitely a lot of options out there, some of which are quite a bit more expensive than others so I was just curious if anyone had any experience with them. It seems like there are so many options for everything these days so it's always tough to just pick one and go with it.

I wanted to do some backpacking this past fall but never got around to it. I have an older MSR Mini Waterworks filter but was looking for something lighter and more convenient.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos and read many Internet reviews. I had pretty much come to the conclusion that there is no perfect water filter on the market. With that said, the Katadyn BeFree seems to be among the top choices for a lightweight, inexpensive system where viruses or chemicals aren't really a concern.

The Grayl appears to be a better choice in instances where the water quality isn't great and viruses might be a problem, such as in third-world countries. The Grayl does a better job getting rid of chemicals, too. The downside is that as the filter gets dirty, the water becomes more difficult and time consuming to press into the bottle. Also, the Grayl filters do not filter as much water as others before needing to be replaced.

20220402 084403
20220402 084611

I'm certainly no expert, and I haven't needed a filter for quite some time but I have used this type of Sawyer before. I liked it because it packs down so small.

I've done a couple DIY backpack hunting trips into Colorado wilderness areas where water filtration is absolutely essential. First trip we used Katadyn bottles and loved them.

Next trip, my new filter partially clogged early and I struggled to get enough water. Did OK till packing out my buddies elk, then I fell behind on water intake and got a little dehydrated. Over 2 miles to the truck.

In town I bought the Sawyer shown above. That served me very well for the remainder of the hunt. I really like that the threaded connection on the bag is the same as a soda bottle. I never used the bag.

For fishing, I just carry a soda, but I should probably add the Sawyer to my gear.

For fishing, I just carry a soda, but I should probably add the Sawyer to my gear.
Thanks for the first hand input! I drink A LOT of water in a normal day but find my self hardly drinking any stream side because I usually just have a small bottle. So on the days where I don't get back to the truck much it would be nice to have a way to filter it when needed.

Turkey nailed it. I have that system, it’s the way to go. Buy yourself a smartwarter and keep the bottle and reuse it for a looooooong time.

Another vote for the sawyer squeeze from me. I have used it with great success.
In the winter you need to keep it from freezing.

I bought a couple of Lifestraws a few years ago, for using streamside. I've never ended up using them yet. I end up carrying a second water bottle most of the time and keep a bottle of Gatorade or water in the car for when I'm done. Many years ago, I'd fish all day without eating or drinking, which resulted in a massive headache by the end of the day. I've wisened up and now make sure I have something to eat and drink (still probably dehydrated most days but not completely dehydrated). For backpacking, I've switched to using a HydroBlue gravity filter. It beats pumping and connects well with CNOC Vecto water bladders - dirty water goes in one 2 or 3L bladder and then gravity feeds to a clean bladder. Once filtered, flip the clean bladder, attach a coupler and a hose with a clamp and you have gravity fed water on demand in camp to fill your water bottles and cooking pots.

I had used SmartWater bottles to hold water but switched over to some silicone water bottles. They mash down to almost nothing when empty and are more durable than reusing single-use plastic bottles.

Back