Filet Knife Sharpener

pstmacteae

pstmacteae

What's a good filet knife sharpener?

My buddy's new hobby is sharpening knives with one of these, and he easily gets them wicked sharp.

I have one of these, which gives better control over angles, but is slower due to narrower belts. Probably not worth the extra cost if you have bench space for the HF.

Rada Quick Edge Knife Sharpener​

: on
amazon too.

those belt sanders are great for sharpening knives fast. i use a black stone and leather strop. takes a little longer and have to practice. but once you get good at they give you a razor edge .

I mostly use a Spyderco sharpmaker. It works very well. It has preset angles that makes it about as simple as possible.

Also a Spyderco sharpmaker guy for most of my knives. Ordered the diamond stone to reshape bevels, then the normal coarse and fine that come with it, and ordered the superfine stones to go an extra step. Good enough for most knives. For my most cherished ones, I'm a metallurgist with access to polishing powders and polishing wheels, lol, so I polish the bevels (polished bevels are sexy!). Then finish with a leather strop soaked with some 3 um polishing compound.

But not the best tool for a filet knife. The preselected angles are too big, filet knives are very shallow bevels, so you can't do the hold it straight up and down method. The Lansky's have a setting for that I think, if you want to go with all the clamps and stuff with that system. Other than that, a flat stone and do your best. I mostly go cheap on filet knives and replace em, lol, because most sharpening tools are not made for filet knives.

Some good stuff on these threads:

The cheap plastic ceramic Rapala sharpener works perfectly on a filet knife. if you are cleaning more than 20 fish at a time pause and sharpen as you go, and you'll have no problems. I learned that from mates cleaning fish on party boats down da shore. They would often have to filet hundreds of fish.

I still use a 45-year-old Rapala filet knife. The blade looks like an Arkansas toothpick it's so worn, but it still cleans any fish I put in front of it.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

About 20 years ago I broke down and purchased a Chef's Choice 3 stage sharpener. I actually spend more time in the kitchen than I do on the stream so I have this collection of knives that I use for different purposes. I use the sharpener 2-3 times per year. It has done a master job on my blades keeping them sharp and in great shape.. I have some high end blades, yard sale blades and hunting/camping knives. It works great on all of them. You can't compare a steel or one of the hand held models to it. The good thing is that you can tell if the knife will sharpen correctly on the first step. The first step creates a burr on the blade. You need to feel the burr before moving to the next step. I found it interesting that some blades are too "hard" to make a good kitchen knife. Cutco knives are good to a point, but a great German steel blade (softer than the Cutco) will always perform best. I have a very old German blade with a damaged wooden handle. Don't leave your good knives in the water too long. Now it has an ugly, but comfortable duct tape handle. Hopefully they will bury it with me.

BTW I do love my Cutco Fisherman's knife. Reading this post I realized that I have the tendency to run at the mouth from time to time. :)

Hey Pat, since we're talking about knife steel... How do you feel about M390? Magnacut?

I use wet stones to sharpen all of my knives and plane blades

How do you feel about M390? Magnacut?
M390 is a good steel. Made by Bohler. It's 100% a knock off of CTS-204P (made by Carpenter, in Reading, PA), which itself is a knockoff of CPM 20CV (Crucible, in NY). They're all the same alloy. And all powder met.

I no longer work at Carpenter and have been away from it for a while, so to be honest, had to look up MagnaCut. It's a good alloy. It's not going to be super high edge retention. I mean, still better than most non-powder alloys, but it's on par with something like S30V, less than M390 and nowhere near something like S90V. But it's gonna have good toughness and decent corrosion resistance for what it is. It's a chopper.

I sharpen using whet stones, lubed with water and sometimes a touch of fish liquid to break the surface tension.
I hone on steel, followed by ceramic.

Back