Figuring out Smallie Topwater Action

dc410 wrote:
Then right at dusk (8:00 - 8:15) there was a fairly heavy hatch of some other type of fly. As best I can describe them, they were basically swarming within 1 - 2 feet of the surface and flying very fast an erratically (much like you would see moths flying around an outside flood light). They were lighter in color but were definitely not white flies. They were too quick for me to catch any. Anyone have any idea what these might have been? Thanks.
Anyway, I had a good night watching night fall on the river. Catching smallies on poppers is a blast!

Yep - summer evenings on a WW river are one of the best FFing places to be. Regarding the bugs - it beats me. What you're describing certainly sounds like white flies to me. It's not uncommon to see gray or black caddis this time of year in the evenings. If you see 'em again, try to catch one and post it in the bug forum. Would be interesting.

Their flight pattern was much more characteristic of a caddis than a mayfly. Quite possibly a gray caddis but it was a pretty heavy hatch. I will try to get a picture of one some night. Thanks for the reply, Dave.

With lower water levels and bright sunshine fishing in the evening and after dark are the only ways I've found to even the odds. Does anyone use a streamer/dry tandem?

Back