fighting butt on a 6 weight?

ThePharmacist

ThePharmacist

Swinging for the fences on a new 9ft #6. Buying it for my Montana trip this summer to fish the Bighorn and Blackfoot/Clarkfork/Bitteroot. I already have a 4 and 5 wt but I'm getting the 6 to deal with bigger drys/streamers or major wind.

Fighting butt or no fighting butt? what do you guys think?

Entirely a personal choice.

I put fighting butts on all my fly rods that are 7WT and larger. "Salty" 6 WTs usually come with one but I wouldn't put one on a trout rod. If you do put one on, I'd pick the smallest version.

ThePharmacist wrote:
Swinging for the fences on a new 9ft #6. Buying it for my Montana trip this summer to fish the Bighorn and Blackfoot/Clarkfork/Bitteroot. I already have a 4 and 5 wt but I'm getting the 6 to deal with bigger drys/streamers or major wind.

Fighting butt or no fighting butt? what do you guys think?

Pharmacist,
Just a suggestion, I have a 5 wt switch rod that is an 11 footer. I absolutly love the thing for streamers, larger drys like stimulators.
With a weight forward 6 or 7 line it will overhead cast a long ways.
With a 350 gr skagit line it will throw a dead rabbit with sinking tips. (It does cast #4 sculpin patterns w lead eyes 60 to 70 feet no problem). At the same time a line with a finer taper it lands on the water like a 6 wt rod. It can be cast with two hands or one handed.
After the end of next weeks finals for nursing I am gonna be fishing on oil creek if you are intrested pm me and you could take it for a test drive or at least see what the rod will do.
One of the biggest reasons I like it is it will cast farther than a 6 or 7wt one hander with 1/2 the effort.
I have yet to use a strike indicator with it but since it works with lines as heavy as 350 grs (10 wt) or as light as 260 grs (6 wt) it is more flexable as far as what you can do with it than a 9 ft one hander. (Clearly it is too much rod for a little 20ft wide spring creek free stoner.
Greg.

Brookies, you are now putting new ideas in my head. I likely will not be able to meet you on Oil Creek but the switch rod is something to consider.

Thanks!

I might like a fighting but on a 6-weight for Erie steel, but not for trout in general. I've heard of rods with removable butts which might be an option for you.

get a custom made rod with a removable butt, you can get 1"-6" ones your choice.

ThePharmacist wrote:
Brookies, you are now putting new ideas in my head. I likely will not be able to meet you on Oil Creek but the switch rod is something to consider.

Thanks!

After using it once I was not sure how I would like the rod, but now that I can cast it w ease I WON'T be without one for medium to larger creeks/rivers. Youtube some of the vids on using a switch rod. A 5 wt will cast a #12 muddler as far as you can see it with good delicacy or a big #4 articulated sculpin.:)
After I graduate nursing school I am planning a trip for big browns out at the miracel mile in Colorado. Rod of choice, 5 wt switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdCNRUEYAYk
Above is vid on using switch rod for trout.
Deer Creek 5 wt switch 325.00 ....More ideas :)

KDH 5wt. $250.00 custom built with your name on it..

sandfly wrote:
KDH 5wt. $250.00 custom built with your name on it..
Hummmm, a 4 wt 10 switch w my name on it? (great for smaller trout). :)

Back