Fifteen Years at Your Favorite Place Out of the Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fifteen years ago on December 2, 1995 I turned an old Macintosh computer in my office into a web server. I stumbled my way through a bunch of HTML code and watched as about 200 page-views were served up that first month. My guess is that was about two people that kept coming back to look at the same ten lame pages about ten times that month. Fifteen years is not a very long time, but in Internet years it is like a look back to a Jurassic fossil. Now I realize we haven't solved world peace here so rolling out the self-admiration club band is only reserved for special days. I think every fifteen years or so you can fire up the way-back machine and dig up a stone or two.

paflyfish_old.jpg
Much of the inspiration for the site came from the authors Landis, Meck and Sanja. My friends Ron, Greg and I would travel around the state fly-fishing with their books by our sides as we explored new waters. At the time I was working for Apple Computer with their latest HTTP web servers. Being a tech geek it became pretty evident to me the future was going to have a new road with the world wide web. Being a Geography Major during college I immediately applied my cartography skills and made up 67 county maps of the state. I published each county with all the major fly fishing and trout streams. So then I had like 77 web pages.

wgmiller
Who could forget the early days of the internet? Dialing up on a 14.4 modem and god forbid anyone wanted to use the phone during that time. The article was a nice reflection back on the beginning days of paflyfish.com, but it also generated memories my early internet memories. The mid 90's weren't that long ago in the overall scheme of things, but relative to technology they sure seem like it!

Last edited:
wgmiller
Who could forget the early days of the internet? Dialing up on a 14.4 modem and god forbid anyone wanted to use the phone during that time. The article was a nice reflection back on the beginning days of paflyfish.com, but it also generated memories my early internet memories. The mid 90's weren't that long ago in the overall scheme of things, but relative to technology they sure seem like it!

Last edited:
wgmiller

Last edited:
greenghost
Dave,
Thanks for the memories. I've been around since day one. (I was one of those two people the first month.) Looking at the wayback, it's no surprise I was posting on the Yough even back then... :lol:

Like a father, you probably have conceived and gave birth to something that has grown to exceed anything you could have initially imagined. The only regret I have about my involvement is not attending a Jam yet. Underscore yet. Thanks again for everything.

Greenghost
aka Paul Schrec
aka Schrec

Last edited:
greenghost
Dave,
Thanks for the memories. I've been around since day one. (I was one of those two people the first month.) Looking at the wayback, it's no surprise I was posting on the Yough even back then... :lol:

Like a father, you probably have conceived and gave birth to something that has grown to exceed anything you could have initially imagined. The only regret I have about my involvement is not attending a Jam yet. Underscore yet. Thanks again for everything.

Greenghost
aka Paul Schrec
aka Schrec

Last edited:
greenghost
Dave,

Greenghost
aka Paul Schrec
aka Schrec

Last edited:
JackM
It's been a wild ride. I think I may have joined in about 2000: a troll that never went away. Thanks for many great years, great memories, great friends and great information.

Last edited:
JackM
It's been a wild ride. I think I may have joined in about 2000: a troll that never went away. Thanks for many great years, great memories, great friends and great information.

Last edited:
JackM

Last edited:
JF_
It's been amazing being part of this site...I was here back in the early days and it's been a positive influence in so many ways, and still is. Thank you Dave...

Last edited:
JF_
It's been amazing being part of this site...I was here back in the early days and it's been a positive influence in so many ways, and still is. Thank you Dave...

Last edited:
JF_

Last edited:
tocar
Dave, many thanks to you and your Macintosh for giving birth to this wonderful forum. A thank you also to our mods, Maurice, Pad, Jack, afish, and Fishidiot. They have done an exceptional job that is often times underappriciated. And of course thanks to all the members who have given freely of their knowledge to be passed down to the next generation. Over the years I have learned much here, and have met some good people. Here's to another 15 years. Cheers!

peace-tony c.

Last edited:
tocar
Dave, many thanks to you and your Macintosh for giving birth to this wonderful forum. A thank you also to our mods, Maurice, Pad, Jack, afish, and Fishidiot. They have done an exceptional job that is often times underappriciated. And of course thanks to all the members who have given freely of their knowledge to be passed down to the next generation. Over the years I have learned much here, and have met some good people. Here's to another 15 years. Cheers!

peace-tony c.

Last edited:
tocar

peace-tony c.

Last edited:
PaulG
Oh yeah, I remember those first begaining, all the down tiime and hoping it would be fixed, so I could get back on. Now I think about those times and see how much this site has grownI can believe how many people I have meet and fish with and the many friends I have made, That has been the best part of this site for me.
The other thing are the Jams, from the first to the last, so many fun times!

Thanks Dave and everyone, it's been a great ride!

PaulG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back