FFO Slippery Rock Creek

J

jsmith697

Hi,

I'm a relatively new fly fisherman that lives in the western pa area about 10 minutes from the FFO section of slippery rock creek. I was wondering how the fishing is there?

I'd like to catch some fish that are a little bit more challenging to catch than some of the freshly stocked trout that they just put in the streams last couple of weeks and I figured the FFO section of slippery rock creek would be a pretty decent place to catch some.

It was a pretty decent fishery years ago. I would find fish rising there to stoneflies, midges, and caddis.
However, starting about 10 years ago - or so - the dry fly fishing really seemed to go down hill. ( at least in my experience). Maybe it was just bad timing on my part
But I can't even remember the last time I found fish rising there. And pretty much just quit fishing it.

Be interesting to hear others take on the place now

Although fish used to hold over during milder summers, it is pretty much a put and take fishery. The flows this time of year typically pushes a lot of water, but there are stockies to be caught.

And I also agree with dryflyguy's assessment as far as a place to fishing for rising trout. Years ago, there used to be good hatches of caddis, cahills and even some sulphurs --as well as consistent midging in the slower water -- that would bring fish up through the FFO section. For whatever reason, it just isn't like that anymore.

But as a place to go that is better than surrounding stocked waters? No.

That being said, the smallie fishing later in the summer can be decent and the white fly hatch in early August can be a quite a thing to witness, sometimes bringing a lot of decent bass up.

It has been fishing well and was just stocked again at the end of last week, will be there again tonight as it is close to me as well.

It is a small stretch of water, and at times can be relatively crowded so I try to keep it to mostly evening trips and avoid it on weekends usually.

For how much topography Slippery Rock has, the FFO stretch of water is fairly flat. It's about 45 min from me and I haven't fished it in years. Every time I go up there I fish the "other stream". Now if you're looking for good small mouth fishing then by all means fish all over that stream. Large boulders, riffles, runs, big pools are prime for good smallies.

Or musky... I nearly stepped on a 36 incher there monday evening. One of the coolest experiences I've had in my short fishing career.. it couldn't care less I was there, even swam within 2 feet after moving from its lie to kind of "investigate"me.

Good point Mucka,
Musky are native to the Rock, have seen quite a few there. Some quite large. Difficult to catch on any tackle, let alone on a fly rod, the very fact that this is one of their "home" waters is very cool and adds to the allure of this enigmatic watershed.

Yep it was pretty cool finally seeing one there after hearing about them!

I bet the musky love seeing the stocking truck show up!!

I used to fish that water in the early 1980's. I used to catch a few here and there but what I really remember was watching stacked up trout, sometimes 20-30 of them, in the summer, at little feeder springs trying to keep cool. Ospreys would dive in occasionally for an easy meal. What a sight watching some of the weight they were trying to get airborne with.

Bonzoso wrote:
I used to fish that water in the early 1980's. I used to catch a few here and there but what I really remember was watching stacked up trout, sometimes 20-30 of them, in the summer, at little feeder springs trying to keep cool. Ospreys would dive in occasionally for an easy meal. What a sight watching some of the weight they were trying to get airborne with.

I've always felt kinda bad for the trout stocked in that section. There is a dam just above the FFO area. And when the water warms up, the fish are blocked from moving upstream.

I remember years ago when I first got into fly fishing, I was in Beaver Falls visiting wife's family and took a trip there. Experienced the stacked up fish at a tributary mouth and thought I had hit the mother lode.
At the time I was new to this and did not realize what was going on.
I don't remember doing much catching though!

Also, it's not named Slippery Rock for nothing!!! Be careful!!

I was going to post a new thread but I found this one. Fished the section this past Sunday, June 26th from 7AM to 10AM. Saw no trout. Had a carp take me for a good ride for about 30 seconds but 6X broke off. Only managed a few chubs the rest of the time.

Has anyone ever had a good day there?? I"ve never caught a trout there in at least 4 visits, and I've never seen anyone else catch a trout there. I've never put a full day in and usually just fish a couple hours, but still...

Someone please share the secrets!!! You'd think some browns might fall out of Hell Run or something and make it more interesting, but it's impossible! (P.S. are we seriously still hiding the stream name in threads here?? It's the only class A in 100 miles...)

Is it a streamer stream maybe?? Should you just target smallies and hope to run into a trout?

I try to fish the Slippery Rock every year. When I was young, the local fly fishing club at the time (Do Fly Fish Club) did some excellent work to get this section designated at FFO. There was a lot of opposition but they made it happen. They always expected to get more water added on the downstream side but ran into some roadblocks. Back then there were lots of insects. On Mother's Day one year my father and I lost track of time since there was a great caddis hatch. We caught a lot of fish but we caught a lot more from my mother when we missed Mother's Day dinner.

Fast forward 35-40 years and the water quality has taken a big hit. I'm not sure why. Acid mine runoff had plagued the stream prior to the FFO being established but by then the water quality was pretty good. Now the hatches are down, there is a lot more sediment flowing, poor color and more algae like growth. The sand and gravel operations near the Lawrence/Butler Co line has been blamed most often for the decline.

To answer your question, one fish is pretty common these days in the FFO. I'm sure others do better. I'm averaging 11 trout per day this year but my trip to the SR yielded 1 rainbow. I had a much better day in 2015 catching 8 in open water on wooly bugger on my only day on the stream. The FFO has decent numbers of big stoneflies but I think they are active a little earlier in June. You will see lots of cases on the rocks. Especially that rock in the center of the creek below the bridge. I'd check it. If someone spends more time there I'll bet they know when to hit a decent hatch.

I imagine the water is too warm there right now. In warm water conditions check the feeder stream below the bridge to see how many trout are taking advantage. I've seen 30+ in the past. Of course if you see 30+ you probably shouldn't fish because the water is too warm. Also the feeder stream up near the old Heinz camp will hold fish like that.

I caught some fish on nymphs about 6-7 years ago but since then it has been streamers or wooly buggers. But I don't fish it very much anymore. Hope that helps.

Dan it's about a 10 min ride from me, and I hardly fish it much after mid May if that tells you anything. It fishes OK in April, but into early May it really tails off for some reason. It gets warm fast from what I have seen. I don't bother with trout there after mid May... if im there I am usually targeting carp and smallies. When fishing trout, all I will fish is variations of caddis. I missed it this year, but 2 years ago Grannoms were pretty heavy.

Early season is a lot better there, but a lot of the fish just park it in that area right around the bridge. If you can't lock down that area, it can be tough to locate others... especially this year it seemed they didn't spread out at all. Or they didn't stock many.

Gets a heavy white fly hatch in late summer.

Back