FFO sections

There has not been a new fly fishing only section created in a long time.

Many of the old ones were converted to artificials only.

Some of the fly fishing only areas that remain are that way because the choice is:
1) fly fishing only
2) posted, no fishing

FWIW - A quick check of "Summary" booklets shows a reduction of 15 "Fly Fishing Only" sections from 1973 to 2023.

I don't know if there was ever more than 48 between those years because I'm too lazy to check. ;)

The percentage of FFO waters is so low, why would you want to destroy them. Those who bait and tackle fish have far more water to enjoy.
I have no interest in destroying FFO waters. I was curious about others opinions on this subject and also voiced mine.
If I was going to destroy something related to fly fishing it would probably be Fedora hats! 😳🫣

I have no interest in destroying FFO waters...
If I was going to destroy something related to fly fishing it would probably be Fedora hats! 😳🫣

Never fedoras... :eek:

Make that Tilly Hats and possibly lanyards but never fedoras...

I always aspired to this look which requires a fedora, possibly a pipe and woodie wagon:

Cropped Geezer

;)

I have no interest in destroying FFO waters. I was curious about others opinions on this subject and also voiced mine.
Dear coyoterahn,

I have no issue with FFO sections or even DHALO, or all tackle sections as they are generally put on higher quality streams.

I don't fish any of those designated streams strictly within the confines of the project boundaries. To me at least, they serve as suggestion for a steam that has potential, and I have fished many more of the project water streams outside of the confines of the project.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I am in favor of FFO areas. A few near me really played a role in getting me into the activity. If you have areas that are open to all kinds of fishing the spin fishing and especially bait fishing can really reduce the quality of the fish. They get beat up a lot quicker and likely die sooner too. I have seen areas open to all tackle, standard regs. that once held some real nice 20 plus inchers get wasted by just a couple people with bait. I am talking wild fish.

I think special regs in general cause fish to get beat up more. There is the perception that there are more and bigger fish in special regs areas and this generally causes higher fishing pressure on average.

Some special regs areas are outliers and see very little use, but most get pounded in comparison to adjacent areas on the same waterway and others in the same region.

I’m curious as to what other people think concerning designating creek sections for fly fishing only. Personally, I don’t see the need for those sections. After all, fly fishermen can fish most anywhere they want. Why designate areas where the spin guys and gals aren’t allowed to fish?

I generally agree. I don't think much would change if FFO was changed to artificials only. Especially with the current craze of squirmy worms, articulated streamers, etc., what are we really limiting? If you are worried about fish well being, just make it no-treble hooks... ....maybe?

When fishing lures, that just doesn't work. Fish or either attracted to strike, or they are spooked by the flashy lure. Once you've run the lure through there once or twice, that area is done. So to be successful you have to keep moving, covering a lot of water, presenting the lure to as many fish as possible. The best spin fishermen fish miles per day.

The best fly fisherman move a lot. The guys who stay planted in one spot are usually the guys who think a half dozen fish is a terrific day.

Like Herb brooks said, "The legs feed the wolf."

The part that differs is the winter stocking and the no closed season. The Keystone waters, if they still do that, are stocked differently than other open all year waters. That's the important part for me. There's really only one year-round creek near me and the section only a little over a mile. Also why they get pounded in the "off-season".

The best fly fisherman move a lot. The guys who stay planted in one spot are usually the guys who think a half dozen fish is a terrific day.

Couldn't agree more.
That being said, usually when I catch a wild trout in a given run/pool, it's the end of activity for that spot. Time to move on.

The part that differs is the winter stocking and the no closed season. The Keystone waters, if they still do that, are stocked differently than other open all year waters. That's the important part for me. There's really only one year-round creek near me and the section only a little over a mile. Also why they get pounded in the "off-season".
That's certainly a thing in the off-season due to the factors you mention. Hoever, my local DHALO/Keystone still sees way more pressure than the other nearby water even during prime spring months. Yeah there are indeed bigger fish there, but the contrast is stark and it was like that for many, many years prior to the Keystone Select hatchery pig program.

It's true and I never really understood that except these special regs water are usually easier to access and if you're really willing to spend only an hour or two I guess the crowd could be the trade off for convenience.

IMO they could do away with almost all of them and just implement C&R AFLO.

Except the Letort and Big Spring. I think those stretches should remain for a reflection on the historical perspective of Pennsylvania's contribution to fly fishing.

I have stood for well over two hours fishing dries to a big fish that was actively feeding more than once. Fooling a fish that is well over twenty inches and that has been pressured a lot is a worthy challenge. Not everyone is about the numbers.

I have stood for well over two hours fishing dries to a big fish that was actively feeding more than once. Fooling a fish that is well over twenty inches and that has been pressured a lot is a worthy challenge. Not everyone is about the numbers.
That's admirable. I could understand being persistent with a fish of that size.

Dear PennKev,

I've had lots of 100 fish days on stream, and it's officially become boring to me.

If I catch 6 fish in an hour I go elsewhere. It's not about the numbers and shooting fish in a barrel is no longer interesting.

Regards,

Dear PennKev,

I've had lots of 100 fish days on stream, and it's officially become boring to me.

If I catch 6 fish in an hour I go elsewhere. It's not about the numbers and shooting fish in a barrel is no longer interesting.

Regards,

Dear TimMurphy,

To each their own.

Regards,

wildtrout2 ;)

I ain't never wet a line in a FFO section, but I don't see the point. Ain't delayed harvest/artificial lure/C&R good enough for ya'll?

But really, I don't care none.

Find and working a big fish is not the same as the guy who parks himself in a hole and chalks up slow days to "they just ain't biting."

I'll certainly put time in on risers when I find them but beating the same water for hours when nothing is happening bores me to death.

FWIW - A quick check of "Summary" booklets shows a reduction of 15 "Fly Fishing Only" sections from 1973 to 2023.

I don't know if there was ever more than 48 between those years because I'm too lazy to check. ;)
Do you have all the Summary booklets from 1973 to the present?

If so, that's a good history source. I'm not aware that that info is available online.

Back