FFing shop in SC PA?

F

fordman

Hey guys,Does anyone know of a quality shop here in south central PA .(Chambersburg area)?
I'm looking for a place to pick up some flies.I know Gander Mt. usually has a decent selection but I hate shopping there,would much rather spend my money at a local shop.
I read the thread about "If you could only fish 1 fly all year,what would it be?"
If I made a list and bought several of those mentioned,would that give me a decent "starter kit" so-to-speak? Thanks!!
Fordman

fordman wrote:
Hey guys,Does anyone know of a quality shop here in south central PA .(Chambersburg area)?
I'm looking for a place to pick up some flies.I know Gander Mt. usually has a decent selection but I hate shopping there,would much rather spend my money at a local shop.
I read the thread about "If you could only fish 1 fly all year,what would it be?"
If I made a list and bought several of those mentioned,would that give me a decent "starter kit" so-to-speak? Thanks!!
Fordman

Yellow Breeches Outfitters in Boiling Springs is a great shop and is not too far from Chambersburg. They stock everything you may need for FFing. Good luck.

http://www.yellowbreeches.com/

Bad luck in C-burg. YBO is 45 minutes out. Keystone country store has my flies in stock. they are 20 minutes from West end C-burg on Rt. 75. Beaver creek shop is in MD off Rt. 70 about 40 minutes away.
Mike Heck
Author of, "Spring Creek Strategies"

great,Thanks for the info Mike!!!
Didn't even know Keystone sold flies.
What are some flies you'd recommend for a newbie in this area?

All depends on the streams being fishing. Match hatches with parachutes, hackle dries and such. Terrestrials will be the summer norm.
Stanard nymphs like hares ears in different colors is a good starting point. Hare's in black, broan and olive can match many nymphs. Streamers and cress bugs and shrimp for spring creeks.
Mike

The Chambersburg Gander Mountain isn't bad and has some decent flies. I'd also recommend Yellow Breeches as the top fly shop in SCPA.

Back