FFing in 2017

WildTigerTrout wrote:

I also dabbled in fly fishing for Smallmouth Bass this year. Caught some and had a great time. Those things really fight , even the small ones. I will continue to pursue them this next year. A new addiction I think. It's a blast!

C'mon over to the dark side friend.....

Soon enough you'll be down with us Warm Water Insurgents ranting about how "trout are for suckers!" and such stuff....:cool:

Anyway, '17 was a bit slower fishin year for me too. Hopefully '18 will line up more time on the water for all of us.

was a pretty good year. Didn't fish to much but did get out enough to stay sane with twin 2 year old girls and a 5 year old boy.

One of my 2 year old daughter caught her first trout on the fly with my help. She loved the 10" rainbow, next cast we hook a 20" tank of a bow that jumped out of the water right at her. She was scared to death so we stuck to looking at bugs and learning entomology LOL

I bought all the stuff to learn to build rods, have 4 blanks with all the hardware but not time to do it. but at least ill always have it.

I fell in love with fishing for natives. Caught my personal best.

I picked up a Regal Revolution that is my dream vise and should also have the stainless jaws for it soon.

All in all a great year. Only thing that I didn't do that I regret is find time to take my other twin daughter out to catch her first on the fly.

I flyfished twice the weekend of the Jamboree, then fished with a fly rod at Erie once, but I would hardly call that fly fishing.

I plan to FF once at least as practice before next year's Jam.

No bass fishing for me this year. River was always high when I had the chance.

Trout fishing for mewas very good. Out of about 40 trips only a few of my limited trips yeilded small trout. The rest were large trout and usually multiple ones. Very good year for trout.

Hopefully I'll be in bass next year. I feel like I'm ready to begin and it's over :lol:

Very limited trout fishing this year with only a handful of trips to the Delaware and 2 to the Tully. Hit a few hatches but missed the major ones I was running for. I had a horrible year nymphing but helped the nephew have his best trips ever to the Delaware. Don't believe I got to the Lehigh or Yough at all this year.

Got in a fair amount bass fishing but the fishing was mediocre for most of the bass season.

Hoping 2018 is a little more generous and that mother nature keeps us wet well into June.

I did a lot of trout fishing. I didn't get many large ones but caught probably more than I ever have. Had more 30+fish days then I can ever remember. Probably caught 5 or 6 tiger trout with 4 of them being wild. I pretty much stopped my trout fishing at the end of September. I did do some smallie fishing on the Susquehanna in September and did ok but nothing like I had done the previous year (2016 was the best smallie year I ever had). The Susquehanna just stayed too high for me most of the summer. I never got out ice fishing in January and February of 2017 but I did get out on the last day of 2017. I'm hoping for some good ice fishing this winter. Definitely looks like we are going to have the ice! I'm hoping to do some more in state traveling in 2018 to hit up some different trout streams this year.

I’m glad someone asked. Did a ton of fly fishing in 2017. In chronological order:

Thai mahseer and snakehead in the jungles of Thailand. Slept in a bamboo hut.

Floating for pre-spawn smallies in PA. Lot’s of big SMB.

Bonefish in Exuma. Winds never dropped below 20MPH. Still caught a bunch, biggest about 6-7 lbs.

More floating for pre-spawn SMB in PA. Best SMB fishing I’ve seen in years.

Native brook trout, wild landlocked salmon, SMB, pickerel, perch and trophy chubs (4lbs) in Maine. Spent more time chasing smallies this trip than we typically do.

Post-spawn smallies in PA. Floated several unpressured areas that I’ve been doing recon on the last couple of years. It payed off.

Canoe-camped in the Adirondacks. Mis-timed the hex hatch but still did well. Lots of SMB and LMB, including my biggest LMB on the fly (4 lb). Dodged some wicked evening T-storms, but the smallies went berserk on the surface after each squall passed through.

More PA smallies. Topwater bite was fantastic this summer: poppers during the day and dries during the big hatches. Caught a personal best in almost every stream I fish.

Went for musky and bass in Michigan. No esox there, but caught a behemoth SMB just shy of 7 lbs!

Heritage strain wild brook trout in an isolated lake in Canada. Nothing but brookies there. No trophies, but the fish averaged 13-18”. It was the last week of the season there and they were in full spawing colors.

Back to ADK for late season bass. Didn’t see another soul fishing in the course of several days on some of the best lakes there.

Salmon river, NY. Had a nice time, but can cross that one off my list. First time there and got tired of dodging the smelly salmon carcasses while wading. Indicator nymphing isn’t for me anymore. A couple hours of that and I’ve had tendinitis in my elbow for 10 weeks since. Never again. No big loss. Very effective, but not a fun way to fish anyhow!

Met some buddies for a few hours on a local stream in December. Hooked one wild brown on a bugger intended for the smallies in that pool. That was the extent of my trout fishing in PA this year.

Only broke one rod this year (rebuilding it now). Floated countless hours and explored lots of new areas. Took a SMB newbie out and watched him turn into a fish catching machine as the season progressed. Great year!

Managed to fly fish in 6 different states this year:

Arizona in March- Lee's Ferry on the Colorado. Spent 3 days there and did quite well.

PA in April/May - From western border to Central part of state. Average season.

NY in June - Fished some new waters in upstate NY. Native browns small stream fishing. Had a blast, on schedule for this year as well.

Idaho in August - Henry's Fork of the Snake River for my annual humbling.

Montana in Aug/Sept - Yellowstone NP, Madison, Gallitan. Annual trip but way to hot temperatures this time out. Did ok but not matching up to previous years.

Wyoming in Sept - Buffalo Fork of the Snake, Gros Venture. Fair fishing for these locations but only had a short time exploring.

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Trip to NZ made up for any lost time here. So for 2018 just to get on the stream more often. Invite to N. Georgia to fish and back to the Jam in May. Maybe steelhead, although the NY tribs are a better bet,imo. Gotta play the cards I'm dealt. GG

Art, I may be able to make the NY trip this year, but I won't know for sure until later. Keep in touch on that.

As far as PA fishing in 2017, I only went for the Steelhead Jam. In fact, I think that was the only fishing I did last year. I don't remember even fishing my own ponds. All that will have to change this year.

Finishing out a 2 to 4 year sentence (work), then I will certainly fish more.

And who knows, maybe I will get lucky and get released early for bad behavior. ;-)

Back