FFing for Muskie article

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Article worth reading, covering a lot of ground (uh...water) about many aspects of FFing for muskie >

https://www.outdoorlife.com/pro-tips-for-catching-muskie-on-fly#page-4

I saw this and enjoyed the article.

FFing for toothies is really getting a lot of exposure these days and it seems every FF publication is including articles about the topic. Good stuff.

I'll be reading this one! Thanks for posting!

No time like the present. In my experience, the past month to six weeks has been the best time period for River and tail-race muskellunge fishing that occurs on an annual basis. I assume that the formerly closed period is also good, although I have never tried it.

They are certainly active (on the move) along lake shores and high up in the water column (within one to four ft of the surface) in open water based on years of netting experience. This behavior occurs without a doubt in the last week of March and first few weeks of April. Minor indentations along lake shores, which one certainly would not refer to as coves, are prime areas as well as points at entry areas to actual coves. There is a lot of movement across these points.

I suspect that the cruising high up in the water column within a foot of the surface at times is related to early spring water temps (near surface water temps) being the warmest. While I would expect that coves on the east and southeast sides of lakes would be best because of prevailing winds pushing what little surface warm water exists in lakes at this time into those coves, I have never seen that pattern develop for Muskies as I have for a number of other species (hint, hint) only before the main lake temps become equal to cove temps.

Great info, Mike.

Regarding prevailing winds and warmest water locations: One should assume the opposite to be true if there are no winds (ie, west and northwest areas have the longest sun exposure, no wind to displace the warm water).

What are your thoughts on overcast vs. sunny days this time of year as these conditions relate to musky locations/depth and aggressiveness?

Back