FF Travel Help for a Foreign Visitor

W

Will

I've been asked to help out a friend of a friend in the following circumstances. Might be a fun thought experiment at any rate.

An avid fly fisher from Japan has just arrived in the Washington DC area for an extended work assignment. He's looking for a place he can go on vacation at the end of August to "rent a cabin in the woods and fly fish for trout."

I haven't talked directly to him yet, but I understand he is willing to travel pretty far. If he's willing to go to Montana or Wyoming, I'll send him there and I know some places to suggest. Its a good time to be out there (other than being busy).

But assuming he doesn't want to or can't go that far, where else might I send him closer to home?

By late August, only the coldest limestoners in PA will be fishing well and then mostly in the mornings (tricos) and not all that reliably. I know of some arguable exceptions to that, but I'm disinclined to send a non-US angler off hunting for a specific part of a specific stream, etc. Feel free to disagree

I'm thinking the Savage and NB of the Potomac are decent options, but the cabin part may be tricky. Views on that location at that time of year, and places to get a cabin are welcome. I think I recall cabins on the NB at a state park? The motel in Keyser WV is probably not the sort of classic (in the view of a foreign visitor) American camping experience he probably imagines (though it works OK for me).

Anybody know any good suggestions for a tailwater situation in TN, KY, WV or SW Virginia that might be good? I'll check but I'm assuming he wants to wade rather than hire a guide and float for at least some of the trip.

Any and all thoughts on the above or otherwise are welcome.

Thanks!

Will

Yo Will

How about West Branch Anglers on the WB Delaware?

Good thought. I hadn't considered the Delaware

The delaware is much better than any southern tailwater.

Delaware is too far and crowded. Send him to South Holston. It will be more enjoyable.

krayfish2 wrote:
Delaware is too far and crowded. Send him to South Holston. It will be more enjoyable.

Delaware would be nice but this might be better advice.^
Not sure about distances but, from Wash DC it might not be much further to the Holston (maybe even closer?). It would likely be close to 6 hours up to the Del.

Perhaps a nice state park cabin or even a B&B up in Central PA. This would afford him a lot of small stream wild trout fishing if little streams are his game. With the weather pattern this summer, I'd be more confident in sending him out to small streams across center state.

I was being selfish Dave. ;). I'm thinking the Holston would be more generous to the angler. If he is fairly accomplished, set realistic expectations and hit the Delaware. Other options would be NickR for a guided trip in Lehigh gorge, B&B State College / Lock Haven area. Going upstate or Western MD gives opportunities for decent size browns and gemmies. If you really want to give the visitor a treat, have them fish around shopping carts, bike rims and bums on the Lackawanna. Lol.

Thanks for the advice, guys! It turns out the guy decided to take the family to Yosemite for vacation this time (had I known beforehand I would have pitched Yellowstone) but is planning to visit a lot of mid-Atlantic streams over the coming months, so he appreciated all the information. Regarding the South Holston, I always had the impression that was hard to fish without a boat? Any truth to that?

Will wrote:
Thanks for the advice, guys! It turns out the guy decided to take the family to Yosemite for vacation this time (had I known beforehand I would have pitched Yellowstone) but is planning to visit a lot of mid-Atlantic streams over the coming months, so he appreciated all the information. Regarding the South Holston, I always had the impression that was hard to fish without a boat? Any truth to that?

The South Holston is a great tailwater to fish for trout. But the dam's purpose is for power generating, and you must time the releases to be able to fish. The river below the dam will be unwadeable during the release.

Here is more info:

http://152.87.4.98/river/hazwater/index.htm

http://152.87.4.98/lakes/shh_r.htm

I fished s holsten a couple times this winter. You can fish it without a boat (I did). But watch water levels. It is probably is closer to DC. Its kind of like the upper Delaware except only a couple types of bugs. I think it's a bit easier than the upper del. I think the upper Delaware is a much better fishery.

I'n with Krayfish on the South Holston suggestion.If the SH is generating,can alway try the Watuga.
Bring plenty of sulfurs and small flys

Back