Fenwick Rods

R

Rickb326

I aquired an old fenwick 8wt that i plan on using for smallmouth. I haven't used it yet, but what are your thoughts on quality?

My favorite rod is my Fenwick FF75. Is your rod glass or graphite? If it's glass, get this reel: http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Granger-Aluminum-Reel/dp/B007XW0IIC/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1364834215&sr=8-14&keywords=Eagle+Claw+fly+reel (and clarify w/ the seller that you're buying the 780, not the 567 model). It balances the old glass rods really well and is loud as ballz! I can't wait to get after the SMB w/ my 7wt glass this year.

RichB

I've had a 7wt. Fenwick, for at least 40 years or more. I haven't used it for awhile, but it has always service me well.

PaulG

I have a 4 wt. graphite that I love. This is my go to rod for small mountain streams.

not only are they great rods, but seldom in fishing in general does a rod you purchase go up in value.

Still treasure one of the first fly rods I bought over 40 years ago, my best buddy, Fenwick FF605, 6' 5 wt that I will NEVER part with. To explain why see the attached photo of the 18" Rainbow and my "Best Buddy" taken just this afternoon...

FAS

I've had my 8' 5wt (FF805?)for many years.
Had to finally replace the stripper guide.
I've owned a few of their graphite rods (HMG) through the years.
All were very well built. A bit slow and heavy by today's standards. I liked them but traded them off to purchase Sage.

Fenwick Rods were top notch in their day. Their glass rods were known for their performance; think Sage today.

They were one of the dominant fly rod companies and one of the first to get into boron and graphite. It is a bit of a sad story of being bought out and then loosing the market.

My first "real" fly rod was a glass Fenwick 7'8" for a 5/6wt and I still fish it occasionally. I saved up and bought it new when I was 15. Mine did not come with a tube or sock but last year I bought both for it because it is one of those childhood treasures.

Yours should hold some mojo as well so take it out and fish it.

Shock

I have a 8'6" Boron that my Dad built for me in '82. Used it this past weekend and caught 7 with it.

I have a FF706 handed down to me from my FIL, probably from the 70's. Haven't had a chance to fish it yet but it feels nice.

Back