felt glue?

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

My felt is coming off of one of my boots. Whats a good way to attach it. Any good epoxy? or something specific?

I use aquaseal. You have to make sure the felt/boot is completely dry and once you apply it takes about 12 hours to cure. I did see in the orvis shop that aquaseal now makes a uv version that will cure much faster either in sunlight or with use of a uv flashlight.

I found Automotive Goop (available at any auto parts store) to be better than Aquaseal. I've had problems with Aquaseal coming loose after use, even though I was very careful with the application. With Goop I've had one pair of felts for 3 years, no problem at all.

Also, aside from making sure its COMPLETELY dry. I'd roughen up /score the surfaces a bit for better adhesion.

Wow... That's the first time I've ever (other than for the purpose of squeezing Jefferson until he suffocated and fell off the nickel) heard anybody say they prefer Goop to Aquaseal for boot-related issues of any kind.

Maybe this automotive Goop is a different thing than the shoe/plumbers/carpenters/etc. Goop.

Or maybe I never used it right. Wouldn't be the first time I've made a mistake like that

Or maybe I've crossed the boundary between dimensions..

I dunno...

I just know that I've never had a quarter of the success or satisfaction with the Goop products I've had with Aquaseal.

Actually, I used to like Barge cement for this sort of repair. But as the number of independent shoe repair guys continues to dwindle, it's getting harder to find retail.

RLeeP wrote:
Wow... That's the first time I've ever (other than for the purpose of squeezing Jefferson until he suffocated and fell off the nickel) heard anybody say they prefer Goop to Aquaseal for boot-related issues of any kind.

Maybe this automotive Goop is a different thing than the shoe/plumbers/carpenters/etc. Goop.

Or maybe I never used it right. Wouldn't be the first time I've made a mistake like that

Or maybe I've crossed the boundary between dimensions..

I dunno...

I just know that I've never had a quarter of the success or satisfaction with the Goop products I've had with Aquaseal.

Actually, I used to like Barge cement for this sort of repair. But as the number of independent shoe repair guys continues to dwindle, it's getting harder to find retail.

Major retail hardware stores still have Barge cement but its about $5. per 2oz. You can get a big fat tube of Marine Goop for $4.00 and it has been working for me. For the last year I tried (3 times) to use gorilla glue to keep the felts on and they came off each time so don't think of the ape for this repair.

As for aquaseal, I thought it was more of a patch glue than a cement for holding soles to the bottoms of your boots.

I just put some new felts on my Korkers with the Marine Goop but have yet to wear them in the water. I will let you know how it turns out.

GOOP, GOOP and more goop for all kinds of repairs, including waders. you can thin it and use for flies as well. I use it and nothing else for felt repairs...

Sand,

what do you use to thin it? Mineral Spirits?

Maurice,
I use tolenol paint thinner.

Whatever you buy, DONT buy the repair kit from Cabela's. Tried it last year, it didnt work.

Yeah after posting this I realized that my NEW waders were leaking. Somewhere around the seam on the neoprene boot. I've only worn them about 5 or 6 times and am not too happy. I asked for some for a birthday gift and got gift certificates for Gander Mountain instead (wanted ones with a good warranty). Gander mountain will only take them back if it's within 30 days and they are not worn. What kind of crap is that. I'm wrote them a few nasty emails yesterday and am about to boycot the store due to a lack of customer service. I think I just learned the hard way that a warranty is well worth the extra money in buying a better product.

all in all, looks like I'm going to have to try to fix my waders too as well as my boots.

i have sealed leaky waders on the seams with thinned goop. did a pair of bad orvis boots held for 2 years. used a small brush to pait the seams and where the bootie and leg join. works great. only thing I recommend.

sandfly wrote:
i have sealed leaky waders on the seams with thinned goop. did a pair of bad orvis boots held for 2 years. used a small brush to pait the seams and where the bootie and leg join. works great. only thing I recommend.

do you do the inside, outside, or both of the seam?

Gander mountain will only take them back if it's within 30 days and they are not worn.

If you are going to go with a big box store, Cabela's gives better service. I had a pair of waders fail after 2 uses and they took them back no problem. The asked what's wrong and I said they leaked the second time I used them. Full refund. I then went and bought a pair of Simms at a flyshop both you and I patronize.

Kev

RLeeP wrote:
Wow...

I saw barge cement at ACE Hardware store,FYI.

I do both depending how bad they seap (leak). Most times on the inside of the seam,

Back