felt? bye bye!!

bikerfish

bikerfish

I picked up a pair of llbean gray ghost boots with the studs. all I can say is WOW!! they are like little tractors on my feet. tried them on 3 different streams so far and I feel they are better than felt. not sure how they would be without the studs, but they are only 10 bucks more.
so, just sayin, don't be afraid to give up felt, you just might be surprised.
they also provided much better traction walking along the streambank and woods, no more slipping in the mud!

Had the same experience with the vibram soles on my Simms boots. They're great. Period. I have a feeling they will wear much better than felt too. Felt loses a lot of it's grip after you put too many miles on it.

Kev

Still waiting for it to be on the cheap brands. It's coming....

bikerfish wrote:
I picked up a pair of llbean gray ghost boots with the studs. all I can say is WOW!! they are like little tractors on my feet. tried them on 3 different streams so far and I feel they are better than felt. not sure how they would be without the studs, but they are only 10 bucks more.
so, just sayin, don't be afraid to give up felt, you just might be surprised.
they also provided much better traction walking along the streambank and woods, no more slipping in the mud!

Been saying this for years, but the nay sayers complain much "louder". I've been wearing my old favorite studded felts lately (last hurrah), and they're much worse traction-wise than my Rivertread studded aquastealth boots.

I'm not convinced the reason to switch is preventing the spread of invasives, but the performance advantage of these LL Bean boots has been a very pleasant surprise for me. Going on five years with them, and they are in great shape, and work as good now as day one.

With the Bean's lifetime satisfaction guarantee, you'll never have to buy another pair of boots again - unless you feel guilty returning a worn out pair of boots. ;-)

pennkev,
after about 1-1.5 year the rubber wears down on the vibram soles (I love the simms nonetheless). Regardless of what you read they are superior-question is if they are worth the money.
I have the rivershed model

I should have put the studs in right away because that would have extended the life of the rubber lugs. Before you you say, only 1-1.5 years? I don't get out like Tuna, but 80-120 times a year, depending on my work travel schedule is the norm. Most of my trips are long (6-14 hrs) and I like to hike/move around, so i feel like I got my moneys worth and I'm still using them, its been 2 years now. They should last one more season

Just starting my third year on my Simms "Guide" Boots. I fished without studs the first year and then added them to the "Vibram" sole. They were good even without the studs but I must admit are better with them. Felt soles are the same way though. They are better with studs also. I really like my boots and when they need replaced I'm going to get another pair. I just sent my Simms "Headwaters" waist highs back to get new gravel guards installed(they were wore out). Simms checked the waders all over, fixed several pin holes I did'nt know were there, and replaced the feet and the guards with new ones. They are like new again! Charged me $75 plus shipping. Worth every cent. You get what you pay for.

I used to own studded felts when first starting out in fly fishing about 6 years ago. Baught a new pair of korkers guid boots with the studded vibram sole. Flawless so far and going on 3 years. I cant see my vibram soles wearing out anytime soon but if they do i can always spend 25$ and the fly shop and get a new pair of soles.

FWIW: I love my LL Bean Aquastealth & stud boots, too. Not only do they have great traction in and OUT of the water, the return policy rocks. The seam on the outside of the boots failed (right where the crease forms when I get down on one knee). Not only did Bean replace them free, they suggested I wait until Spring because a new, better model was coming out.

My only gripe is the lacing system eats laces for lunch.

FlySwatter wrote:

Yup, the old ones eat laces. Solution? Parachute cord.

They fixed that problem on the new ones, BTW.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
FlySwatter wrote:

Yup, the old ones eat laces. Solution? Parachute cord.

They fixed that problem on the new ones, BTW.

I never even thought about para cord. That's a great idea!

I have a pair of the simms with vibram soles and they work awesome. I have no complaints with them so far, worthwhile investment.

Does anyone have the hardbite star cleats for simms boots, and how much do they help?

I inserted the regular hard-bite studs. Seems to me the star cleats are a bit overkill. However, I concede I don't know where you fish.

They are now making star cleats in aluminum. I saw them at the valleyforge show. The rep claims its for fishing on "hard rocks". The rock bites into the aluminum versus the carbide cleats biting into the rock.

HA,

I looked for paracord on Amazon. There is some "commercial grade" cord there, but some reviewers said it's not as good as the military issue stuff. Where do you ger yours?

Picked my para cord up at the Bean in Marlton NJ a few years ago. I think it was 100' for $4 on clearance. It's probably not mil spec, since I got a pack of black, and a pack of chartreuse. I'm almost out of the black stuff - all my boots except my Pataguccis have it on them. Haven't replaced any laces since I used that stuff.

Any Army/Navy store should have what you need, cheap.

i know there will be guys who disagree, but felt does not provide better traction than the newer rubber bottom boots. Not under general use, and not in the winter when the snow cakes the felt turn them into ice skates. There are a bunch of rubber bottomed boots out there with better traction than felt. Some guys just don't want to change.

I have to say, with 3 episodes of experience, the Simms vibram Idro grip sole is OK only on the better wading streams. Compared to AquaStealth, it is nearly suicidal. I had a pair of Simms wading sandals that I took back to the store because they were LETHAL to use in the Allegheny. I used the credit to get Freestones.The 1st time I took them to Oil Creek, I busted my &$$ twice in about an hour. I'm keeping them to use on streams like Spring Creek or Little Sandy or Hemlock creek or whateever. But for the River and Penns and Oil Creek, it's LL Bean Studded AquaStealth. No more of that suicidal Simms crap. Waders, yes but nothing else from them. Not with my money.

I learned with hard earned money and harder eared bruises.

Syl

Back