Feed Them Meat

Night_Stalker

Night_Stalker

Last evening/night I finally managed to get out to a spot (only partially covered by ice) to try a big streamer I tied recently.

I refer to this as a 7" Fallfish Night-Time Snack. I do not feel it is necessary to toss something this big...but it is fun. It is more of a Musky sized streamer, but it really is about a quarter of a meal for a large trout.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 9
Big meats mean big fish! Thats why I throw streamers when I'm going for size. Nice tie and trout man!

beautiful fish - did you measure it ?

btw have you ever tried black clousers at night for trout - i have a buddy up in Maine who swears by them for night fishing for BIG brookies and LL Salmon.

he tyes them with no flash...

I'm caught up in the trendy streamers...clousers are certainly a proven fly...but I do not use them.

Night time is about movement and silhouette. Clousers are a little too sparse for me.

The only clouser style I'm thinking of making is attched..."Chrome Clouser"

Smallies would crush these...with a white belly

Attachments

• Chrome_Clouser.jpg
    Chrome_Clouser.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 4
Being really low water and cold, I did not measure it. After the fact, comparison to the rod would suggest 21+ up to less than 23. I was comfortable guessing 22. The only shot completely out of the water is a quick laying of the net on the rod on the snow. On that rod, the reel seat to the end of the cork is 10-inches. I did not even try to get the fish straight.

This fish was one that wanted to barrel roll continuously. It was hook in the roof of the mouth and wrapped the line around its upper jaw/head. After unhooked and allowed to chill in the net in water quick photos could be taken. Then a drop of the edge of the net and it was off it went. I did need to put my thumb into the mouth and securely hold the lower jaw to determine where the hook was. Other wise I do not touch the fish. I hope to get a very large rubber net bag soon.

cool clousers - try tying them on a 60 degree jig hook - the action is much much better.

you can make clousers as bushy as you want - i hi-tye some of mine for stripers.

the blue and white fly, 2nd from bottom is a hi-tye clouser :

900x900px-LL-c169fb1b_Bugs.jpeg

Night_Stalker wrote:
I did need to put my thumb into the mouth and securely hold the lower jaw to determine where the hook was.

Dem troots got toofers, ya know?!?!?

WGM,

I have just figured out why you don't catch Musky…

Between the jaw and the tongue it is possible to apply pressure to hold the fish still long enough pop a hook…at least on the large fish. Most of the time the fish is in contact the net only…and let go.

Back