Fayette County

bhickle

bhickle

Just looking for a little advise on any streams around Fayette county that would hold wild trout, also any advice on fly choice. i live near Brownsville and i have been fishing Dunlap creek, last couple of times out i got one trout and a bunch of shiners. i have been pulling the tires and garbage out as much as i can. i have tried Dunbar and meadow run on the same day, but i am really unfamiliar with the area there and i really don't know much on where to park.

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

On the Fayette County subject.. Anyone have knowledge of Quebec Run ??? I understand it is a "class" rated stream for native trout ....

DrFAS

Three places to park to fish the DHALO area on Meadow-- where Rte 381 crosses down near Ohiopyle, upstream on Dinnerbell Rd, just after you turn off 381, make a left into the trailhead parking and walk the trail 1/2 mile down over the hill, or along Dinnerbell Rd a bit further where it crosses the creek. You can park at the park office or across the road in the whitewater outfitters area.

Dunbar has parking along the country road that parallels the FFO project. Near the shooting range, the Game Commision has a maintenance buliding and a gravel road goes up into the gamelands along the stream about a mile or so. At the end is a large lot. If you walk upstream from the end of this road about 25 minutes walk along the stream, you should start catching some native brookies.

There are also numerous small native waters flowing off the ridge in the Laurel Highlands. Quebac Run, which was mentioned is designated Wildreness Trout Water. I think the biomass is only Class C or so. You have to hike well in to get to the wild fish. The park that is off of Rte 40 as you head up to the summit from Uniontown has a stream running through it that holds a small population of brookies as well.

Thank you Jack for the help. I'm gonna try this weekend even with the rain we got, still better to be fishing than sitting at home.

Dunbar fishes well when a little high, rarely gets muddy and comes down quickly, so if things look bad, go there. Also any brookie streams would probably fish well if the water is up. Don't mess with the Yough if it is high and even Meadow can be dangerous if moving fast.

Quebec Run can be very difficult to fish due to the amount of thick cover along the banks, but it can be rewarding. It is accessible by a trail, Hess Trail, that reaches the headwaters or Quebec Road (closed service road) that intersects the run at the midway point. I detailed map can be found at:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/Forestry/stateforests/maps/ForbesQuebecRun.pdf

Thank you for all the help, I'll let you know if i catch anything. any suggestions on flies for this time of year?

For natives, I enjoy using bead head prince nymphs, adams, and small terrestrials

Well i tried Quebec run today. hooked into 16 got half of them in my hand. it is a very beautiful place i had a blast. i followed Hess trail to Tebolt and tried there for a while then back up to Quebec run, i fished it to mill run and fished mill run back up to Quebec road. on mill run i got 1 fish to bite but it was a nice one, about 16 inch brookie. i only got a couple of pics before my phone died. thanks for all your help, next time i am going to Dunbar and spend the whole day. went up there Saturday but couldn't stay to long, definitely worth trying again.

I made it to Dunbar last night. Jack, thanks for the heads up on H2O levels, while everything else was looking a bit shab, Dunbar was flowing very nicely. Amongst others caught a really nice 10+ native, too bad he flopped out of the friendly grip I had before I shot the photo. I can see where the top water gets low real quick.

Glad you had a good trip on the Quebec.

I am reluctant to say both of the wild trout streams that i know of in fayette co but tha one that i am willing to share is called rasler run. it is a small rambow trout stream down 711 east from connelsville. I have only fished this stream once but i do know that there are some farely large bows in there. i observed one crusing around a pool that was around 12 inches. I wont give u all of the answers becuse belive that takes part of the fun out of it. good luck.

Most of the brooktrout streams in fayette county have relatively low population density. If you are map savvy there are GIS tools which you can overlay showing wild trout streams. I know of a few off rte 857, tributaries to mountain and Georges creeks.

Thanks for all the info. brookiebuster i was thinking of rasler run when i saw it on pfbc website just not familiar with the area and didn't know how the fishing was. albud are those the tools on the pfbc website?

Could you give me some information of the creek that are of of route 857. I used to live right down the road in Morgantown.

Try the streams in the Quebec Run Wild Area, there are some good streams there. Some of them have green drake hatches.

If you are talking about George's Creek on 857, its not really a trout stream. It just gets stocked in the spring. There are a few tiny trickles that drain off the western slope of chestnut ridge and cross 857 that hold a native brookie or two but have very low populations in general.

I looked over my notes from the last 20 years and Quebec run has been yielding less fish over the past decade. However, with the cesation of stocking on mill run, a small wild trout population has started to build there, increasing each year.

Three places to park to fish the DHALO area on Meadow-- where Rte 381 crosses down near Ohiopyle, upstream on Dinnerbell Rd, just after you turn off 381, make a left into the trailhead parking and walk the trail 1/2 mile down over the hill, or along Dinnerbell Rd a bit further where it crosses the creek. You can park at the park office or across the road in the whitewater outfitters area.

Dunbar has parking along the country road that parallels the FFO project. Near the shooting range, the Game Commision has a maintenance buliding and a gravel road goes up into the gamelands along the stream about a mile or so. At the end is a large lot. If you walk upstream from the end of this road about 25 minutes walk along the stream, you should start catching some native brookies.

There are also numerous small native waters flowing off the ridge in the Laurel Highlands. Quebac Run, which was mentioned is designated Wildreness Trout Water. I think the biomass is only Class C or so. You have to hike well in to get to the wild fish. The park that is off of Rte 40 as you head up to the summit from Uniontown has a stream running through it that holds a small population of brookies as well.
Can you elaborate more on these areas?

Well i tried Quebec run today. hooked into 16 got half of them in my hand. it is a very beautiful place i had a blast. i followed Hess trail to Tebolt and tried there for a while then back up to Quebec run, i fished it to mill run and fished mill run back up to Quebec road. on mill run i got 1 fish to bite but it was a nice one, about 16 inch brookie. i only got a couple of pics before my phone died. thanks for all your help, next time i am going to Dunbar and spend the whole day. went up there Saturday but couldn't stay to long, definitely worth trying again.

Can you elaborate on where these places are?

If you go they are pretty obvious. The last one is just a pull off. The first two are ridiculously obvious. You'll be fine.

Back