Favorite Winston Rods

D

DavidFin

The more my casting improves the more appreciation I gain for Winston rods and their patented "feel." I have a BIIIx 905, and a WT 764 and love them both. Each once I bought came with a warning that if I fish modern graphite they will be too soft for my style, but I casted each and have no problems timing them. If anything, I want to push the envelope further and get something even softer/smoother from them.

What recommendation do you guys have? I'm thinking about a TMF and a BIIIx LS.

I have a JWF which is pretty good for most trout water. My dry fly rod is a BIIX 804 which casts like a dream. I love that rod.

How do you like the BIIIX 905? I was thinking about getting it for larger trout rivers (Upper D) and for streamer rigs.

I love my 905 BIIIx. However, I don't think I've pushed it as hard as I could have. When I was looking into it and purchased it I was assured this was a dry fly rod and nothing more. I've nymphed with it a bit and have swung wets and it hasn't strained. No streamers with it yet. I really want to branch out with it this year.

One thing though, it struggles past 50-60 feet. It's doable, but you have to be on your A game.

DavidFin wrote:
I love my 905 BIIIx. However, I don't think I've pushed it as hard as I could have. When I was looking into it and purchased it I was assured this was a dry fly rod and nothing more. I've nymphed with it a bit and have swung wets and it hasn't strained. No streamers with it yet. I really want to branch out with it this year.

One thing though, it struggles past 50-60 feet. It's doable, but you have to be on your A game.

Different tools for different jobs. It may not be a good idea to marry yourself to a certain action of rod for all types of fishing. A heavier weight as well as a faster action rod than you normally would fish might serve you better for fishing streamers, especially if you are looking to cast fairly big and/or heavy flies and/or using any type of sinking line.

I'm definitely not looking to make this a streamer rod or anything, but I don't think it's definitively a "dry fly" rod, despite the fact that I picked it up with that consideration.

afishinado wrote:
...Different tools for different jobs...
...A heavier weight as well as a faster action rod than you normally would fish might serve you better for fishing streamers, especially if you are looking to cast fairly big and/or heavy flies and/or using any type of sinking line.

The B3X 9'6wt is a phenomenal streamer rod. A good bit faster than the smaller B3Xs, or at least it feels that way to me.
To give my opinion on the OP question, I own both of the green sticks that you mentioned (as well as Winston IM6, LT, WT, BL5, XTR, B2X, B2T, B2MX, B3x and B3LS).
If you like the casting stroke required for the B3X you will have no problem with the TMF (a bit slower than the other WTs and a good bit slower than the B3x).
My favorite Winston (other than the TMF, so I guess it is my second favorite) is a 9'5wt B2T. I fish it on big water (Delaware system and out west) as well as smaller water like Penn's.
Hope this helps

I had LT-5's in 6'9" 3 wt, 8'3" 4 wt, and 8'9" 5 wt. I could fish anywhere for trout with these three.

I have a TMF, 8'6" 5wt WT, and an 8' 4wt BIIX. I don't really fish the BIIX at all any more. I feel comfortable taking the 5wt anywhere when I'm not anticipating a hatch.

But, there's nothing I enjoy more than casting small dries to risers with my TMF. It is such a joy, that I often take it out and just sit on the bank with a coffee, waiting for a midge or olive hatch to occur. If I don't run into one, I'm content going home without having made a single cast.

It's also a delight for night hatches because I intuitively know how much line I have out by feel.

SteveG wrote:
...It's also a delight for night hatches because I intuitively know how much line I have out by feel.

Isn't that the truth!

if you can find one try the DL4 series (good luck). the Winston "feel" probably refers to the pre -IM6, IM6 and WT series, but extends, to a degree, to other series. Seems like the real Winston fans like the earlier models compared to more recent stuff. If you have a bunch of cash and even more patience get a Tom Morgan Rodsmiths rod.

If you want to go even softer and smoother take a look at fiberglass.

I picked up a 476 Orvis Superfine last year. I like it, but I wouldn't want to go softer. Not yet. However, I do think it would be fun to cast a heavier fiberglass rod.

Thanks for the input everyone!

My fav would be the LT, cause that means dry flies and its May-June July. Great rod for small or medium sized waters. Sulphers, crane flies, caddis, green drakes.

Own deez:
Winston 4 pc Boron IIx 6wt 9'6
Winston 5 pc LT 4wt 8'3

Toured the shop in Twin Bridges a couple of times. Ruby, Jefferson, Beaverhead, Madison territory

kbobb wrote:
... Seems like the real Winston fans like the earlier models compared to more recent stuff. If you have a bunch of cash and even more patience get a Tom Morgan Rodsmiths rod.

If you want to go even softer and smoother take a look at fiberglass.

I have an 8' 3wt Morgan glass. My favorite rod for small flies that isn't made of grass

Gutcutter - sent you a PM. thanks

CRB wrote:
my 4 wt WT very sweet dryfly rod.

Same here. I'm running a 4WT, 8' WT and it's about perfect as a dry fly rod.

If you're seeking smoother from Winston, one suggestion is to check out the recently discontinued Biit rods. I'll second the 9' 5 weight Biit, and the Biit 4 weights are particularly fine rods. I own four Biits, and consider them the finest graphite rods ever produced.

As another mentioned, the long-since discontinued DL4 is Winston's slowest, smoothest offering IMO. A lot of reviews indicate this rod is a one-trick pony, however, I do just fine nymphing double rigs with this model.

Another suggestion would be to look at the GVX/GVX Select rods. I've heard numerous about this rod being a modernized WT with slightly more backbone/power. These rods are quite smooth and I just watched a used GVX on eBay sell for $175.

Funny that the 8' 4 weight Biix is always brought up in Winston discussions. It's the only Biix I own.

Lastly, in having played with the BIII LS, while a nice rod, does not seem to have the Winston 'feel' that these formerly mentioned rods possess. I am not negatively criticizing this new series; I would state that most of Winston's discontinued, or available by special order, rods are much better to suit my casting tempo.

Back