Favorite trout species to FF for...

If given a choice (availability), what type of trout would you prefer to FF for?

• Wild Brook Trout

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • Wild Brown Trout

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • Wild Rainbow Trout

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Stocked Trout (any species)

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
I clicked brook trout.
A bucket list thing of mine has always been going somewhere that has large wild brookies.
Have tried to do it in Maine a few times. But have never hit it right - yet.

My top priority though, is - and has always been - to find rising fish.
And am quite content with that - whatever it happens to be

I clicked brook trout.
A bucket list thing of mine has always been going somewhere that has large wild brookies.
Have tried to do it in Maine a few times. But have never hit it right - yet.
Gods River/Lake in Manitoba, Canada. They've got some amazingly big wild brookies. Strictly C&R.

Gods River/Lake in Manitoba, Canada. They've got some amazingly big wild brookies. Strictly C&R.
With a name like that, guess it should be good.
I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

I've tried the Rapid River in Maine a few times.
And was quite disappointed there

Browns wild holdover whichever doesnt matter

Cutthroat
Wild browns
Smallmouth
Brook trout
😝

Browns on a dry, the bigger the better

If all types of trout streams were available to you, which species of trout would you prefer to pursue with a fly rod?
Dear Afish,

I'm going to be contrarian, gee there is a surprise.

Wild trout period, the species doesn't matter to me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I picked wild browns, but if it was possible to create a fishery here where you could catch wild brookies that AVERAGE 9-12 inches, instead of that being the above average size, I would prefer them. I think they are so beautiful, I respect them immensely as a native fish and enjoy fishing for them, but it just isn't as fun as catching browns.

I chose browns, but deep down I am a cat person (and maybe a masochist, too). I love brookies, but they are like dogs. Big browns on pressured creeks are not only like cats but also a lot like the hottest, smartest girl in school.

Great Lake Atlantics, Salmon, Browns and Rainbows(steelhead). Could be wild or fingerling stocked I don't care.
For natives Lake trout, or coaster brook trout.
Both of these show up time to time. I guess the EBTJV feels these are not important.

Last edited:
I said wild rainbows, not because I want to spend the rest of my fly fishing life pursuing them, but given the scenario, it's a fish I've caught the LEAST. I'd love to catch a big fatty western 'bow in its native range.

Wild Brown Trout, a big one will punch your lights out and make your arm and wrist hurt and get you into your backing with a crazy rush. A Wild rainbow will dance doing flips and rolls with big runs that end with a headshaking leap and a fly in your face. A big Brook Trout is just illusive enough to make you go to Canada on a mission to find them. Where they hid in Pa. is a military secret AKA :
Dr. Livingston, I presume. GG

Last edited by a moderator:
My first choice would be atlantics!
Wild brown are great too though

I'll say brookies with a caveat.

I like a mix. Small remote streams to big streams with bigger fish. Tossing junk flies to steelhead to matching the hatch on a place like Penns to tossin streamers on even bigger rivers. Local and travel. Cutties out west. Freestoners and limestoners. Even stocked fish in places like Pine Creek. I need that variety. And I don't believe any one species can fill every niche, if we tried, we'd end up hurting fisheries, which I don't want to do. So there is a place for all of them, I want all of them.

My answer was because, if you ask what days I really remember and cherish the most, it's a long, nearly impossible trek into some remote smallish beautiful forested stream, most often with brook trout. Hiking with purpose.

I cast my vote for wild brook trout, but by that I mean native brook trout.

Wild brook trout for sure, whether thats in PA or elsewhere in the Northeast.

Back