Favorite Tippet Material

Rio Powerflex. The name of the game is to control drag for me, so as soft as i can get. If I need help turning over or have twisting issues i can always go up a size, or shorten it. Better than having to go down a size or lengthening.

" The name of the game is to control drag"

I believe most of us strive for that.

Right. And stiff tipppets increase drag. Just my $.02.

For 6 and 7X I use Trouthunter everything else I use orvis mirage for tippet. I use maxima for the butts on all of my trout leaders .

Used Cabelas guide spools for years in 4, 5,6. It was a good deal, Think they don't make it anymore in the gude spools?

I fish 5x Orvis superstrong nylon a lot in spring until fish start getting picky then change usually.

This summer/fall I fished Trouthunter 6x flouro almost exclusively (dries and otherwise) and was very happy.

Get some invisible mending thread and use it for tippet if you want something supple.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Get some invisible mending thread and use it for tippet if you want something supple.

A guy who went by Jeff F used to post on here years ago, and he swore by that stuff.

Anyway, my favorite is probably the stuff I scored from Pro4ormance for free a couple years ago. Can't beat free. I borrowed one of his tippet dispensers. I recently tried to give it back, and he refused.

I rarely use smaller than 5X. I will use 6X with size 18 flies, but I don't use flies smaller than that. I lost my midge box a few years back, and had trouble tying them on anyway.

I think it is Seaguer grand max which I like anyway.

For nylon, I usually use Orvis Super Strong.

Orvis Super Strong and Rio Powerflex. I have never had any issues with either and will continue to use both.

Prefer mono in most situations. I have Flouro in heavier weights of 10-60 lb. for Steel, musky, salt, etc. For trout - mono.

Ive been using the Rio Powerflex Plus and the strength is amazing. Its not too much stiffer than the suppleflex.

The suppleflex is good stuff, but its hard to find anymore. I will have to check out the mending thread. Is it strong enough to be used as a tippet? I say im after supple. Really i mean the most supple you can get for a given strength level.

Yes, when you get into toothier critters, including especially large trout, abrasion resistance comes into play and thats where fluoro begins to make sense for me. But 95% of my fishing its not needed.

Moon1284, where are you buying the 250 yard Maxima spools? I’m looking for chameleon - 3,4,and 5 pounds. Thanks.

You can purchase directly from them on their site.

I usually order mine from fishusa. However it looks like wal mart has them very cheap...

www.walmart.com/ip/Maxima-Fishing-Line-Chameleon/53943128?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228057884231&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=161635502633&wl4=aud-310687322322:pla-267826349987&wl5=9005564&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=53943128&wl13=&veh=sem

Back